cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userj3MttMm3au
Constellation

Re: Brightness changes with subtitles

It seems like all the 2018 models have the same brightness issue. 

useroXrTFcL79f
Constellation

Hi

From Sweden, bought an Q9FN in mid Nov 2018. Noticed this problem quite fast.  Have tested different settings with no improvements. The problem is most notable at high res input like Netflix 4k but also at normal TV channels with 720P ( HD) resolution. All situations with dark background. Have talked with Samsung support in Sweden but they are unfortunately poor with low knowledge, at least the person I talked with. They confirmed although if this problem was on Netflix which proof  that they have heard about this from others as well. I asked them if they have forwarded these information to Samsung engineers in Korea since they are the only one to fix this, but they could not tell. Samsung Sweden will try to make adjustments online with my TV and if this not helpes, they will send over an technician to adjust the settings but I am very sceptical that it will help at all. I also talked with a retailer (HifiKlubben) which are more professional which said this is an feature with the Samsung 2018 models and there is not so much to do. Either it will be solved by new firmware or the hardware is like this.

I also have an Q8F from 2017 where this problem does not exist so it confirm that Samsung have failed with the 2018 models.

Since this has become such enjoying issue and I am so fixated to this problem when watching TV and also in consideration that I wanted to get the best TV when I bought this Q9FN, I will most likely reclaim and return it and buy something else. My problem is that I am not a big fan of OLED and actually like Samsung so I don't know what to do...perhaps wait for 2019 models...

usermYnwo0BJ7U
Astronaut

Norwegian here with a Q9FN. Same problem, and very noticable on HDR content since subtititles gets so bright. 

Despite what others are claiming, this is not an issue of edge lit or bad local dinming. The Q9 has tons of dimming zones but still has crazy brightness fluctuations across the whole screen when subtitles are on.

This is an algoritm / firmware issue. Samsung would be smart to fix this before they’re hit with a class action lawsuit, considering everyone affected worldwide.

userTXbCirKZkZ
Constellation

Q7 owner here.

Samsung, please, if you are incapable of fixing this with a firmware update, then give us a firmware where we can simply switch off local dimming altogether, as we could do all these years. 

It's not like there is a limitation to the hardware in doing this. 

You can switch off local dimming from the service menu when in PC mode and keep control of the Backlight. So the hardware is there to do it.

There is also an option to switch it off on all modes, but then, for some inexplicable reason you lose control of the Backlight and everything is dim.

The problem is not limited to subtitles only, it comes up almost anytime a bright object comes up on a dark background and as a result all the colors are distorted. Frankly, it is utterly ridiculous for a TV of this price range. It would still be ridiculous for a 300€ TV actually. I have informed all my friends and colleagues to stay away from the QLED range just for that reason. It is unacceptable to find that everything is more enjoyable on our old TVs.

Once again, if you are unable to make local dimming behave properly just add an option to switch it off.

It's not like we will lose anything important. Local dimming in QLED range is nonexistent anyways (1 out of 10 in all reviews except for the Q9 model). We knew that and we still bought it because in all the other areas is ahead of the competition.

Either fix it or let us turn it off.

userzVutmKL8VU
Constellation

I agree with the person who wrote the last post.

I have a 75" Q6 from sweden and my problem hasent been solved.

Its intresting that Samsung chooses to not to respond to this issue.

By the way guys, a new Firmwire just relesed today 1202.3

Has somebody updated to this and can confirm that this issue is resolved or not?

userb38kkyPS6s
Asteroid

No this issue has still not been resolved with the 1202.3 update. With CES among us they’re probably concentrating on what’s upcoming this 2019 year. I hope we aren’t cast away and forgotten this IS a major issue. I have a few more weeks until my return window expires and by the sounds of it I don’t want to deal with their customer support. So this tv may be boxed up and shipped back where it came from. Absolutely unimpressed with Samsung. I’ve owned their products with great success and this one was suppose to be no different. 

useroXrTFcL79f
Constellation

Hello

From Sweden and have posted in this thread some days ago about my Q9FN...

Have tried the new 1202.3 without any improvments!

Finally, I got in touch today with somebody "normal skilled" person from Samsung Sweden Support. They confirmed they have got all information and feedback from me about my problem and they confimred that this case is handled by the local technicians now which clearly state that this is a "larger problem" not only i Sweden.

According to them, the engineers in Korea are working to release a new firmware to solve it. However the locals in Sweden could not say when this firmware will be relased, only that they are working with this now.

For me, this is quite ok information to get a sign that Samsung are working to solve this enoying problem. Let´s see...

userJbsCjFj7RM
Constellation

I have the same problem.... 

i am considering to return it an buy a oled tv 

userb38kkyPS6s
Asteroid

That’s what I’m considering doing unless I go to Sony OLED or just Sony LCD or maybe a Pizio. Taking it off the wall and packaging it right back up. Disappointed... I wish I could show you the tv and it’s “black” it’s garbage absolute garbage. For a tv that cost me $4K my lcd I bought 12 years ago is way better. It was a Samsung I guess back then they cared. Good luck to everyone out there. 

userzVutmKL8VU
Constellation

Thank you for this info.

Im from Sweden too and havent got a response yet from Samsung Support.

I contacted them a few weeks ago.

I have the Q6 2018.