JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can Samsung Q9 (2018) output 5.1 Dolby Digital through Optical Out?

(Topic created on: 1/23/19 11:26 AM)
jdrednation
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I'm curious if my Samsung Q9 (2018 lineup) can output Doby Digital 5.1 through the Optical out port on the One Connect Box.

I'm considering putting together a SONOS 5.1 system, but only if the TV can output a true 5.1 signal from the Optical port. Thanks!

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Qled and Frame

I clicked on the link and it looks like some information was missing from it. Just in case you were not able to see it too; I will attach it here. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in context

0 Likes
13 Replies
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Qled and Frame

Please take a look at the link, regarding your concern. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
jdrednation
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

@SamsungLou wrote:

The Dolby Digital Plus (5.1) is only available via HDMI(ARC) to supported devices

Hmm @SamsungLou gave me a different answer.

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Qled and Frame

I clicked on the link and it looks like some information was missing from it. Just in case you were not able to see it too; I will attach it here. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
jdrednation
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame
Thanks for going into that for me @SamsungTam. From what I gather, if I have a Samsung 4K disc player sending a 5.1 audio signal to the TV through HDMI, the TV cannot output a 5.1 signal through Optical.

"Even though HDMI is capable of carrying a 5.1 audio signal...5.1 audio output from optical is not available when using the HDMI input."
0 Likes
jdrednation
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I'm curious if my Samsung Q9 (2018 lineup) can output Doby Digital 5.1 through the Optical out port on the One Connect Box.

I'm considering putting together a SONOS 5.1 system, but only if the TV can output a true 5.1 signal from the Optical port. Thanks!

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Qled and Frame

The Dolby Digital Plus (5.1) is only available via HDMI(ARC) to supported devices.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
jdrednation
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

@SamsungLou wrote:

The Dolby Digital Plus (5.1) is only available via HDMI(ARC) to supported devices.

Okay, so going by what you're telling me, the TV cannot output 5.1 through the Optical Out port. Thank you for your response.

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Qled and Frame

You are welcome.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
tomsframe
Halo
Options
Qled and Frame

I am skeptical of this advice. I have a 2017 Frame with One Connect, a year older TV than yours, and it passes 5.1 through its Optical Out just fine. Perhaps the advice applies to DDP only.

You should test it by plugging your Q9 toslink into any Dolby Digital decoder, whether you have a conventional amplifier or can borrow one, to see for certain if it is doing what you want.