Original topic:

Dark corners, Q9 local dimming issue

(Topic created on: 11/21/20 12:32 PM)
userezv49wXuc2
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Hi,

I've seen discussions on local dimming and how it affects image quality. I've been experiencing issues relating to this as well, specifically darkness predominantly around the four corners. This only occurs when there are black bars at the top and bottom of the screen i.e. when watching movies. It doesn't happen all the time, for example it doesn't occur watching some shows on Netflix when the black bars are very thin but it will happen when the black bars are thicker.

I tried adjusting the picture settings which didn't help. However I did enter the service menu and increased the pwm settings to 100, which alleviates the issue but doesn't resolve it completely. I also tried setting local dimming to 0 through the service menu, which resolves the issue but introduces another issue in that the screen flickers, as though the frame rate drops to about 20~fps.

This seems to be a software issue, as pressing pause to raise the pause widget or bring up the tv settings makes the darkness go away completely while the widget is visible. The darkness returns gradually after a few seconds when the widgets go away.

Does anyone have a way to resolve the screen flicker after turning local dimming? That would be the ideal solution. Actually the ideal solution would be a firmware update with an official solution.

My TV is the 88" Q9 QLED. Here's an example of the problem:

IMG_4276.jpg

I've uploaded a video of the issue as well. Notice that the problem gradually occurs over a few seconds. Likewise, when the black bars go away the problem gradually fades away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL_EAqfv-JU

Example of local dimming issue.Whenever black bars are displayed at the top and bottom, there's a blatant discoloration around the bars, particularly in the ...
0 Likes
7 Replies
userIKcIVfT6hx
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

I get this on my 75 inch Q90r. It's really quite frustrating. There is also no pattern 90% of the time it works fine. I would love to here an official Samsung response. I will drop a pic in a bit.

0 Likes
userIKcIVfT6hx
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

Dimming problem 

Here's a small video of what I see.. You can see the bars creep into the video here. I turned the pic to black and white to make it more visible.

0 Likes
SamsungLarry
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Qled and Frame

Does this occur on all sources?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userIKcIVfT6hx
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

If you are referring to confused dimming on the Q90r 75 inch in the vid clips linked to above then yes it applies to all sources. I can't speak for @userezv49wXuc2

0 Likes
userezv49wXuc2
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Yes, this occurs on all sources. 

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungLarry
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Qled and Frame

I recommend letting a service technician have a look. Send your full model code and serial number via private message to get started.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
userezv49wXuc2
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Can we remove the "solved" status? The problem hasn't been looked at by a technician yet, so it remains unsolved. 

0 Likes