cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Frame TVs: 2020 vs 2019

Can anyone please tell me the differences between last year's and this year's Frame TVs? I have texted, called and chatted with reps from Samsung. Amazingly, nobody can answer this very simple question.

We are looking at the 55" or the 65" but don't know if the 2020 price premium is worth it.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Frame TVs: 2020 vs 2019

Good Day @userSTW1Sl7nI6 ,

The biggest differences I see deal with overall dimensions and power consumption.  The 2019 model is around 2lbs heavier than the 2020 and is also about .1 inches thinner.  With the power consumption under normal usage the 2020 model is drawing about 5 watts less though the max is the same across the board.  If you are into gaming the 2020 model has an couple added game modes on being 4k@120hz which will make them look and run alot smoother.  Also the system UI on the 2020 model is powered by TIZEN.  Hope this helps you.

Take Care,

ddsanchez_82

Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks, ddsanchez_82. Besides refresh rate and physical specs, are there any other screen improvements for 2020?

Highlighted
Product Expert

@userSTW1Sl7nI6 ,

From what I see it has added more options to the UI and just some minor tweaks to overall picture quality as I mentioned before.  Honestly either one would be an amazing addition to your wall space.

Highlighted
Constellation

What is the OS for the 2019 version, if not Tizen?

Highlighted
Astronaut

Since the launch, it was powered by Tizen OS, so there is no difference between 2019 and 2020 models in that field. I'm having currently a 2018 model and was thinking to swap to the 2020 model as 2018 model is sadly not anymore that great due to many 8K TV's around from Samsung, but since the reveal of the 2020 model and seeing reviews I'm convinced that it's not worth to pay a premium for 2020 model as there are only a few tweaks as mentioned by Sanchez, notably power consumption and tweaks for picture quality which are not really seen, so save some bucks and get a 2019 model without regrets or do I as I wait for 8k model Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Halo

There is a newer version of Tizen in the 2020 TVs.  Here's what I've seen for the 55' and larger models:

- Upgraded panel with "Dual LED" backlighting.  Specs are between a Q70T and Q80T.
- If gaming is important, the 2019 manual shows 120fps support for only YCbCr 4:2:0, 10-bit.
- The 2020 model supports 120fps (8-bit and 10-bit) at RGB 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0.
- Upgraded Tizen operating system.
- Upgraded Art Mode with Curation feature.

- TBD on improvements to OneConnect Box.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hello 

The 2020 frame has a pretty solid picture over the 2019.  It seemed a lot brighter out of the box and has the clean smart app look to it.  The 2019 had a pretty average to below average pic quality/brightness.  Cool design both years and many won't see some differences.  

It will be interesting in 8k, they need to get the really well lit QLED for the tv but then really dim for the art.  Im sure its tough for the natural art look they produce.  

The mount is higher on the tv, which is probably irrelevant for most, but it does help if your home has power outlets and wiring more towards the middle of where the tv is indened to be placed on wall.   

If anyone needs comparisons I have a youtube channel @b_the_installer 

B