cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userJmCZzhdUwQ
Asteroid

Freesync on Nvidia RTX over HDMI.

When Nvidia released a driver update some time ago to allow the use of Gsync over the vesa adaptive sync standard, it only worked over display port. This works fine on my monitor which is not "Gsync Compatible" but works just fine.

However, when the game ready drivers were released for Red Dead Redemption 2, they included LG Oleds (specifically the c9) in their Gsync Compatible certification, and i assumed this was also general support for adaptive sync over HDMI. I saw a video from youtube about the samsung 2019 QLED series of tv's, and they stated that freesync works with these tv's.

I use an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super, but am having issues using freesync. AMD cards have been able to use freesync over HDMI for some time but Nvidia restricted you to display port until now. When i try to use freesync over HDMI on my Q70R, i have a whole host of problems making it entirely unusable. First of all, what i did was activate freesync in the game mode menu when connected to my pc, then activate it in the Nvidia control panel, and at first everything seemed to be fine. but when i got into a game to test if it was working, my tv made a loud sound, sort of like static and a lot of 'noise' was on my screen, lots of little green dots jumping around my screen with a static sound in the background. I'm also experiencing black screens, where every few seconds to a few minutesgo blank for a split second, upto a full second or a few.

I dont know how to fix this issue and have had no luck with all the things i have tried. I've tried using freesync basic and ultimate, and have tried 4K 60HZ, as well as 1080P 120HZ, neither of which helped with the noisey image and static sound. I cant even look amongst the green dots to see if freesync is even doing its job at eliminating tearing, as its too obscured. My last attempt at fixing is a new HDMI cable, i bought amazon basics one that is HDMI 2.0 and 3m long. I've heard that all hdmi cables work with all HDMI generations and theres not really such a thing as an "hdmi 2.0 cable" but the one i was using was very old, maybe more than a decade at this point, though was working just fine before on my monitor and old tv. When the new cable arrives, hopefully it fixes my problems.

4 REPLIES 4
usermMEgquKQWd
Constellation

Re: Freesync on Nvidia RTX over HDMI.

Hey, I'm really interested in hearing how this works out. Please let us know if you manage to get it working or not! 

Highlighted
userqWsVBnntz1
Asteroid

Hope Samsung gives us a updated firmware!  Smiley HappyHeart

Johnny93bg
Constellation

Yeah, what's up with this? Has it been fixed yet? I'm pausing my Q70R purchase because of this issue!

SeanInSeattle
Constellation

I'm hoping to test this sometime next week. Anyone have luck using Freesync/VRR over HDMI?