cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

HDMI ARC issues with Samsung Q80R 82" and Q60 55"

Below is a summary of my issues with the latest models of Samsung's QLED 80R 82" and QLED 60R 55".

Samsung QLED 80R 82" HDMI ARC hasn't worked on the following receivers listed below:

Denon AVR 3500H

Marantz SR6013

Yamaha Aventage A1080

The TV is able to aceept and recognized the receiver but doesn't provide auto swithcing control or sound. In short your able to see the receiver settings only under the HDMI input on the TV.

I've exhausted all ideas, unplugging and replugging, factory resets, firmware updates, triple checking all settings.

I filed a warranty claim under my extended service warranty and the Samsung technician was prepared to change the mother board when we tried one final test. I took a Harmon Kardon Q60R soundbar which immediately took.

There are software issues with Samsung's TV's restricting these receivers from communicating. I know this to be a fact because the Samsung technician spoke with a Samsung engineer over the phone who admitted issues with Denon, Marantz and Sony. I figured Yamaha would be a safe bet. Wrong.

I'm now prepared to connect an optical cable but I must say for having Panasonic, Pioneeer Elite and Sony TV's all my life this has been a huge let down and disappointment for my consumer experience with Samsung's SmarT QLED TV's. This TV cost $4k to purchase today and there is not one good reason I can determine why the HDMI ARC isn't being accepted and transferring sound to the TV from all the manufacturer's listed.

You have to buy a designated Samsung Hardon Kardon soundbar I guess.....so much for creating a custom home theatre experience.

All feedback welcomed.

JD

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: HDMI ARC issues with Samsung Q80R 82" and Q60 55"

I am experiencing a similar issue with my Q80R 82" Samsung and Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver. I am using the HDMI ARC input on the Samsung (HDMI 4) to provide sound to the Yamaha receiver for home theater. The Samsung TV intermittently seems to forget or lose the Receiver sound output option and automatically switches to the TV sound output.  Initially, I had to manually go into the Samsung settings menu, external device management, turn the AnyNet+ off and back on, and then go back to Sound, and it would then again recognize and display Receiver as a sound output choice.   Recently, however, this has not been working, as every time I the click on the Receiver sound output choice, that option disappears (leaving only TV, Optical or Bluetooth options available for Sound output).  The Samsung will finally on its own after going through the foregoing routine over and over, or going through the sound output menu shortcut through the SmartBar, will recognize the Receiver sound output option and switch over.  This was infrequent enough at first where I thought I could live with it.  However, it has increased in frequency over the short two months that I've owned this equipment, and last night it happened almost every 30 minutes, which is untenable.  We need a real solution and I also don't feel that using an optical cable hookup and/or just accepting that the ARC doesn't work on this brand new $4,000 tv is an acceptable result.

Highlighted
Constellation

I'm in the same boat. I have a 75" Q80r and I've tried my Onkyo receiver and a new atmos soundbar. HDMI ARC connection gets lost every time I use it, reverting back to the tv speaker. I can get it back to working after fiddling around for 15 minutes but that's not really what I signed on for. Hardware or software, I don't know but I don't have much faith that Samsung will address this going forward. I've seen post after post about this issue in the forums as I've searched for a remedy but no official response. It's a quality image but it simply can't do modern audio reliably. I wish there was a better way to get the word out to people looking to buy so they can avoid investing in these products and in general, this company.

Highlighted
Constellation

I have a Q80R 55 inch and my receiver is a AVR-S720W and did have this issue of the TV not recognizing the hdmi arc connection to my reciever when I turn on the TV , it had no issues on turning it off , but after turning it off the tv reference back to the tv speaker when turned back on. I fixed it by going to the settings on the tv and pressing on the tv icon right above it now it shows a regular program , than I used my ruko remote and pressed the home button and noticed that my receiver showed up on the top screen in the tv, from that point on the tv recognized the receiver when I turned it off with my ruko and also turned it on, hopefully it will work for others as well 

Highlighted
Astronaut

I'm having a similar issue with my Q80R 65" and my Yamaha RX-S601D.

My TV recognizes my receiver, and when I power off with the TV remote, it shuts down both TV and receiver, but it wont turn the receiver back on automatically. Around half the time I open apps line Netflix, the TV won't automatically put out sound through the receiver. It just goes silent, so I manually have to choose audio input on my reciever.

I've tried disabling Dolby Atmos, and putting sound to PCM, but no difference. Also tried universal remote setup, but didn't help, even though I found my receiver model in the list.

This seems like an ARC bug, and it's really annoying, especially as at worked perfectly with my 6 years old Samsung TV, and an LG SM8200.

Highlighted

HDMI-CEC has vexed me ever since I got my Samsung tv... as far as I can tell, Here's how CEC works controlling devices.  With CEC turned on on your devices... Turn on a video source and the TV comes on with it. Along with your soundbar or receiver (if they are also CEC connected). Turn the tv off and it should turn off the source and the soundbar or receiver. This providing all are working together as CEC was designed... Wikipedia has a technical description https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control

Highlighted
Constellation

I have a 85 Q80T brand new with a new Denon AVR-X4500H and the system will turn off the TV and the AVR but if you turn either one on that is all that  happens. My previous Samsung 75 KS9000 worked wonderfully, I guess Samsung software is got worse after 4 years. I have to manually turn on the AVR after the TV goes on and then if I use TV sound for one of the TV apps the AVR does not always recognize the audio and then the TV reverts to its internal speakers. This set is supposedly HDMI 2.1 with some its features including eARC as is the AVR per Denon's website, that is why I invested in a new receiver. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Hi - I am having similar issues. The audio connection between my new Samsung Q70 and my (old) Denon AVR 1713 drops every now and then, often after switching it on. When it drops, the little icons for Digital and/or PMC don't show on the Denon display and no audio signal seems to pass through. It requires usually a lot of tinkering (unplugging the HDMI cable, alternating settings or resetting components, unplugging the whole system for a while, etc). It's the inconsistency that I find so frustrating and it's clearly not a reliable way to connect these components.

Strangely, I am having similar issues now with the alternative optical cable connection as well. So I am left wondering - is there perhaps a hardware issue with my new Samsung's audio output or the older Denon's audio input, or is there just some incompatibility that these two components don't work with eachother?!

I could go and spend more money on a new AVR but reading these posts I am wondering if that would actually solve the problem here if the Samsung QLED TV generally don't work nicely with AVRs.

Highlighted
Constellation

Same here with Marantz SR5014 (2020 model of the 5013). I can use ARC until I turn off the tv, and when I turn it back on, I have to disconnect, reconnect, reboot the tv, fiddle with it for 45 minutes before I can get ARC to work again. At this point I'm giving up and switching to an optical cable. But that means no DTS or Atmos. I think my next best bet is to use a Fire TV Cube (one of the only SSTBs that support HDR10+) but that only supports Atmos. I love Rokus but they don't support HDR10+ only HDR10.

Highlighted

For everybody here who is having issue with AVR not powering back on after powering on the TV, do you guys also have HDMI devices connected to the AVR?