cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

HDMI Connection Issues, External Component Issues, HDMI-CEC Connection issues, Audio Video Issue,

HDMI ISSUE RESOLVED WITH SAMSUNG Q SERIES TV. NOTE: Most of the connection problem to external components are not HDMI, HDMI ARC or CEC related. Since the purchase of my Samsung Q Series TV, I have had nothing but problems with getting video signals, audio signals and getting the TV to recognize the external components connected. I would eventually get a signal from the connected device only to have it lost, drop or no signal detected. I would have to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in to get a signal and again, have the Samsung TV drop or lose it. I have spoken with 3 different Samsung Techs via their service and had a text conversation with one. It has now become very apparent, when you contact Samsung support, YOU ARE NOT SPEAKING TO A CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN. You are speaking to a customer service rep that is reading from a script on how to reset your TV. I explained exactly how my system was set up. Every Tech I spoke with all did exactly the same thing in exactly the same order with exactly the same end results. Nothing worked. Finally, they set me up with a service company to come and look at my TV. They phoned me to set up an appointment. Then, they said, they may have to replace the mother board and then possibly take the TV with them for 7 to 10 days. This was unacceptable. So they set me up an appointment to come visit me. I have since canceled the Service as I FIXED THE ISSUE ON MY OWN. I now have 82 hours of time invested in this issue. I have 21 pages of notes on connection issues, how I connected, what I did and what order I did it so I would not repeat myself when a possible solution didn’t work, and none of them worked. I finally started doing research on the internet. I have read well over 200 posts on different web sites about this connectivity issue including Samsung site, Sonys site (All my external components are Sony) and independent sites to find resolutions. I started to notice a common trend. The trend included all major brands of TV’s, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Vista, LG, RCA etc. It also included stereo receivers, amps, home theatre systems and sound bars. Again, all major brands, Sony, Denon, Yamaha, LG etc. They were all having connectivity issues via the HDMI ports. Below is how my system is set up, 

TV: Samsung Q60 Series 4K, UHD, HDR (Purchased June 2020) (HDCP 2.2) 

AVR: (Home Theatre System) Sony STR DN1050 (Purchased August 2015) (HDCP 2.1) 

Game Console: (Playstation 4 3rd Gen) (Purchased October 2016) (HDCP Pass through) 

BR/DVD Player: Sony UBP-X800M2 4K, UHD, HDR. (Purchased July 2020) (HDCP 2.2) 

CD Player: Sony 300 CD Changer Unit (Purchased June 1998)  

My original set up was connecting all my external devices to my AVR Home Theatre system. Then the AVR was connected to the Q60 Samsung TV via the HDMI 4 (ARC) port. I would get Audio and Video from Streaming Services (Netflix, Hulu, Vudu) and Over the Air (OTA) broadcasts with surround sound from my AVR system. But the system would not recognize any of the other external components. Could not get any of these to work, No Audio or video except for my Sony 300 CD Changer. I got the Audio directly through my Sony AVR system. I troubleshot every single component, reset to factory settings, hardbootsoftboot etc. Nothing worked. Finally, I decided to hook each component directly to the TV bypassing the AVR system, except the HDMI Port 4 (ARC) which should return the audio signal for each external component back to the AVR so I could get sound from the external components. IT WORKED. Suddenly, the Samsung Q60 recognized the Amp (AVR), BluRey Player and the PS 4 game console. WOW, success, well, not really. It became immediately apparent doing this way, my Audio suffered immensely. Apparently, the Q60 Samsung TV cannot decode and send back to the AVR the correct codecs for anything above 5.1 surround or Dolby Digital Plus. My Sony BluRey player also plays SA-CD, DSD and DVD Audio which I have a collection of. If I played anyone of these formats, I would get no audio back through my AVR via HDMI ARC Port 4 on the TV. When I would play a BluRey, OR the new UHD format discs, also the game console, I lost all the spacious audio and sound separation, and the volume was very low. Basically, the Audio was bad. I did not want to let this go and settle because I have over $4500.00 invested in my total Home Theatre system. 

SOLUTION AND ISSUES CAUSING THE PROBLEM. After immense time and research, in short, there is nothing wrong with the Samsung Q60 TV or any of my components. This issue has to do with encrypted codecs known as HDCP (High bandwith Digital Content Protection). This is a system of security codes that allow newer High Def media components to talk to each other and “Handshake” in order to play its content. It is supposed to prevent piracy and theft or copying of certain newer media components. Here is the issue, this security format is not backwards compatible. So, if your try to use or play media content on an older version of HDCP to the new standard of HDCP 2.2. IT WILL NOT WORK. Go back to where I list my components. I list which components are HDCP and If I could figure it out, which HDCP compliant code they are such as HDCP 2.2. My TV and BluRey player are both HDCP 2.2 compatible. Therefore the TV suddenly recognized the BluRey player when I hooked it via the HDMI cable directly to the TV. My Sony AVR system is not compatible with HDCP 2.2 and that’s why when I hooked the BluRey player to the AVR then to the TV, it was not compatible as the AVR system is not 2.2 compliant. Same issue with Sony Playstation 4. So now, all external components are connected via HDMI directly to the TV with HDMI PORT 4 (ARC) also connected back to the AVR so I can listen to the TV, OTA broadcasts and Netflix, Hulu and Vudu. Now, the workaround to get back my awesome SOUND back to 7.1, I can play the SA-CD, DSD, VIdeo DVD etc. I did get the awesome audio back and WOW. Gaming is fantastic, my BluRey and UHD discs and movies back to way high def and crazy great sound. 

THE FIX IS IN: For some odd reason, I noticed my Sony BluRey player had two HDMI “Out” ports. A Little more research, HDMI Port 1 is audio and video signal out. Port 2 is “Audio Only Out”. I took a chance and connected HDMI Port 1 directly to the TV, Adjusted the internal setting on the BluRey player to make sure both HDMI ports were active. Then, I connected HDMI Port 2 (Audio Only Out) directly to the AVR BluRey HDMI connection. “SUCCESS”. WOW, all of my 7.1 and audio is back and all the audio is being decoded correctly so I got my 7.1 back, DTS-MS decoding, DCS is back, SA-CD, DSD, DVD Audio disc all play great. Now, the Sony Playstation 4. The PS4 only has 1 HDMI out so it went directly to the TV and sound was returned to the AVR via the ARC port on the TV. Audio sucked. So, a little more research, I found out they make an HDMI Splitter known as an “Audio Extractor”. It separated the Audio and Video into two separate HDMI connections, 1 video to TV, other Audio to AVR HDMI Game Port. NOTE: make sure this device “Audio Extractor” is HDCP 2.2 or above compliant and it also supports 4K, UHD, HDR for the video portion and also decodes the correct audio formats you are using. BAM, WOW, audio on gaming is back,,,,,PROBLEM SOLVED..... 

ICEING ON THE CAKE: Now all the  is complete, and everything is working, even the HDMI-CEC is controlling all my external components. It cannot control every little function, but it works fine for me. The remote will even work certain functions on the PS4. The AVR turns on and off with the TV, I can control the volume on the receiver. When using the remote on the menu on the TV, I will select the external component, such as the PS4, bam, AVR switched to game port. Same with BluRey player. I am  a happy man... 

NOTE: I SPENT MANY MANY HOURS TALKING TO SAMSUNG REPS, SONY REPS AND OTHER SO CALLED AVR REPS AND TECHNICIANS. NOT ONE PERSON VIA PHONE, TEXT OR IN DIFFERENT ON-LINE FORUMS MENTION THE HDCP PROTOCOLS AND ISSUES. I FIND THIS EXTREMLY ODD WHEN THIS IS SUCH A HUGE ISSUE AND IS WIDESPREAD. I DID NOT KNOW WHAT HDCP WAS UNTIL IT POPPED UP IN A FEW POSTS WHICH TRIGGERED ME TO RESEARCH IT. IF I HAD KNOW ABOUT HDCP PROTOCOLS EARLIER, I COULD HAVE FIXED MY ISSUE IN A FEW HOURS INSTEAD OF SPENDING OVER 80 HOURS RESEARCHING AND FIXING THIS AND SPENDING OVER $300.00 TRYING TO FIX IT.... 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Comet

Re: HDMI Connection Issues, External Component Issues, HDMI-CEC Connection iss..

I can simplify what you were trying to say for everybody out there any type of unit that works by HDMI that has to be connected Works off of something called the HDMI handshake not all HDMI is created equal if you plug something in through an HDMI cord and it isn't working or it keeps flickering that means either the HDMI cord is not the proper one that you need and they're not shaking hands or the cord or what you're plugging it into is broken on or doesn't want to shake hands the most typical solution is pay-to-play don't buy cheap chords many of the problems can be solved by just purchasing a decent quality products
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: HDMI Connection Issues, External Component Issues, HDMI-CEC Connection iss..

I appreciate the reply, but you have way over simplified the issue. The issue was not with the HDMI cables. I use quality HDMIe Premium Cables (2.0 or above) and all my cables are comaptible with all my components. My cables were all tested (total of 5 cables) for continuity and all worked fine. Every HDMI port on the Samsung TV and my components was tested in the same manner. All ports were working fine transmitting and receiving signals. The issue is compatibility with copyrighted material and how each component, (TV, AVR, Game Console, Sound Bar Etc.) decodes the media content being played and how each component talks to each other via the HDCP Codecs and Protocol. The issue here is HDCP (Highbandwidth Digital Content Protection). There are many different versions of the protected codec going back to about 2004. The two current versions are HDCP 2.2 and 2.3. Any HDCP codec lower than 2.2 ARE NOT COMPATIBLE AND WILL NOT WORK. HDCP is NOT backwards compatible. So if you have a BluRay 4K, player that is rated for HDCP 2.0 and your TV (Brand does not matter) is rated at the new standard, HDCP 2.2, you are going to have a problem viewing the content and getting a signal via the HDMI ports especially if you are playing newer media content especially if it was produced after 2008 and before 2013. This issue also works in revearse. Your BluRay player is rated HDCP 2.2 but your TV is rated lower to 2.0, your going to have the same problem. I would suggest you research what HDCP is and how it works and what it is for. It has turned into a nightmare for consumers due to the HDCP not being backwards compatible and most people are not aware of this issue. Also, a FIRMWARE and Software update cannot fix this issue. To update any component to HDCP 2.0 or higher requires a chip in the motherboard to be replaced due to seciruty protocols. The HDCP codecs and protcols are developed by Intel Corporation and are licensed through them as well. All component manufacturers whose items play any highbandwith digital content (BluRay etc) must pay a licensing fee the the Intel corporation.

@Zero_83 wrote:
I can simplify what you were trying to say for everybody out there any type of unit that works by HDMI that has to be connected Works off of something called the HDMI handshake not all HDMI is created equal if you plug something in through an HDMI cord and it isn't working or it keeps flickering that means either the HDMI cord is not the proper one that you need and they're not shaking hands or the cord or what you're plugging it into is broken on or doesn't want to shake hands the most typical solution is pay-to-play don't buy cheap chords many of the problems can be solved by just purchasing a decent quality products

Highlighted
Asteroid

I appreciate the reply, but you have way over simplified the issue. The issue was not with the HDMI cables. I use quality HDMIe Premium Cables (2.0 or above) and all my cables are comaptible with all my components. My cables were all tested (total of 5 cables) for continuity and all worked fine. Every HDMI port on the Samsung TV and my components was tested in the same manner. All ports were working fine transmitting and receiving signals. The issue is compatibility with copyrighted material and how each component, (TV, AVR, Game Console, Sound Bar Etc.) decodes the media content being played and how each component talks to each other via the HDCP Codecs and Protocol. The issue here is HDCP (Highbandwidth Digital Content Protection). There are many different versions of the protected codec going back to about 2004. The two current versions are HDCP 2.2 and 2.3. Any HDCP codec lower than 2.2 ARE NOT COMPATIBLE AND WILL NOT WORK. HDCP is NOT backwards compatible. So if you have a BluRay 4K, player that is rated for HDCP 2.0 and your TV (Brand does not matter) is rated at the new standard, HDCP 2.2, you are going to have a problem viewing the content and getting a signal via the HDMI ports especially if you are playing newer media content especially if it was produced after 2008 and before 2013. This issue also works in revearse. Your BluRay player is rated HDCP 2.2 but your TV is rated lower to 2.0, your going to have the same problem. I would suggest you research what HDCP is and how it works and what it is for. It has turned into a nightmare for consumers due to the HDCP not being backwards compatible and most people are not aware of this issue. Also, a FIRMWARE and Software update cannot fix this issue. To update any component to HDCP 2.0 or higher requires a chip in the motherboard to be replaced due to seciruty protocols. The HDCP codecs and protcols are developed by Intel Corporation and are licensed through them as well. All component manufacturers whose items play any highbandwith digital content (BluRay etc) must pay a licensing fee the the Intel corporation.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Having the same issue with my brand new Frame TV.  No device will show signal via hdmi, but the tv recognizes something is connected