cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does TV recognize what is connected to its HDMI? Apple TV

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I connected my Apple TV 4K to my Q6FN's HDMI port, and the TV recognized it as an AppleTV and gave it the Apple icon in the Home dock. But somehow the settings got messed-up and I lost that icon, and when I do a Reset and the TV attempts to recognize what is connected to its HDMI ports, it now comes-up as Unknown and I can find no way to get the ATV icon back.

How does this detection process work? How to get apple icon back?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How does TV recognize what is connected to its HDMI? Apple TV

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks I tried that but the icon would spin & spin and finally say Unknown for me. I did get it fixed and I think it was the CEC setting that was off. After I put CEC to On and Reset from the menu the set did finally (and quickly) ID my ATV4K and give me an Apple icon for it!

4 REPLIES 4

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you disconnect/reconnect the HDMI cable, the TV should initiate the device detection process again. If AppleTV is powered on during the process, the TV should be able to quickly recognize that device and add the icon to Home.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks I tried that but the icon would spin & spin and finally say Unknown for me. I did get it fixed and I think it was the CEC setting that was off. After I put CEC to On and Reset from the menu the set did finally (and quickly) ID my ATV4K and give me an Apple icon for it!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's correct. In order for TV to be able to detect AppleTV, CEC has to be turned on from AppleTV side for the two devices to communicate.

Samsung_ttYAwNc
Astronaut

Try reprogramming the TV are unplug it for about 5min to...

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Try reprogramming the TV are unplug it for about 5min to reset