cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

How to stream from DLNA to Q80T?

So the title says it all,

I had this 10yo philips TV from which I could play movies/music/photos from my Synology NAS using DLNA. 

I just got a 49" Q80T, which according to specs, does have DLNA, however I am unable to find any information at all (up-to-date and precise) about how to do that. I am not sure if my device should be listed on the sources list or if I should add it to SmarterThing app in my phone or what...

Has anybody done this with a recent Samsung TV? Ideally with a Synology NAS but also with other devices. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: How to stream from DLNA to Q80T?

After enabling the Media streaming options under my Windows 10 network/sharing settings, I was able to play all movies/music/photos. My PC shows up under the TV's source list.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks @userlU6GzpQHMf after waiting for a long time it did come up... So frustrating that there is no manual, no reference, no nothing to DLNA in the User guide or in any other documents. Also there are tons of Youtube videos and other materials on how to do much more elaborated stuff but nobody seems to comment on this.... If you don't know where the icon is supposed to come up and have never seen it before and they don't tell you nowhere...

Anyway, now I have the issue where my DLNA server comes and goes whenever it feels like. I am allways double checking with a DLNA client installed on my phone. On my phone I can always see my server, however, from my TV it sometimes seems like it is impossible. I have had to reset the server, reset the TV and many other things sometimes until I finally get it to appear. I have also tried hitting "Refresh" on the TV many many times.

Does anybody know what might be causing this? Is there any way of forcing the TV to "scan" the network for DLNA servers?

Finally, less important, I really hate the view of the DLNA files on the TV... Only the first word of files shows... very little files fit in the view.. etc... Is there any way of customizing that? So far I have only seen you can filter by Photo/Video/Music and that is all.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Thanks @userDp5XVU94Nz.  Was starting to wonder if anyone else in the world streams content from a network share or if Samsung now expect us to plug everything in by USB!   I have a QNAP NAS with DLNA shares.  Unbelievably nothing on the eManual with regards to DLNA other than a mention of sharing media.  My NAS does not show up under the sources menu.   DLNA has been around forever.  How could this not be covered anywhere?!  
So did your Synology finally show up on the TV?  I have a new Q70T which fails to see the DLNA shares on my NAS.  Is this no longer supported?!  The TV is patched into the network - not using wifi.  If anyone has any ideas of what's required to make this work it would be much appreciated.  My 5 year old Samsung TV handles this no problem at all.

Highlighted
Constellation

Same issue here, had a 10yr old Samsung TV which allowed me to easily access my Synology videos via dlna... Now it is just so complex on the q95t.  Surely there is any easy way to access dlna devices because this is doing my head in.  Playing videos off the DS Video app is just terrible and 90% of the videos won't even play.  Not good enough for a $4k TV.  Please push out an update to improve accessibility Samsung.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hi,

so yes I did get it working, as "working" as this TV can work though, for some reason Samsung has dropped so many popular codecs half of my movie library is now unplayable.... It's unbelivable to be honest, this TV is supposed to be pretty good and it crashes more than a windowsVista tamagochi.

Anyway, I was able to get DLNA working. I don't know exactly what trick did it to be honest. All I can recommend is have your TV and NAS on for a long time. Check any security settings/firewalls (some NASs have a list of allowed DLNA hosts for example). Also download a DLNA client app on your phone so you can see if the NAS is visible using that (while phone is connected to your wifi).

I am not at home now if you want I can send you a screenshot of how the DLNA server shows up in the TV, as I was saying it is hard to believe this is not described anywhere in the manual nor in the internet in general.

EDIT: Forgot to say, even if you do get it working, just a warning, the UI [edit]... I suspect even Samsung is trying to push everybody to pay-per-view streaming services by making DLNA less convenient that it used to. Crony capitalism at it's finest.