JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Internet Speed Using Ethernet for Samsung QLED 90T

(Topic created: 01-15-2021 12:11 AM)
user05S5KaDx4i
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hello everyone, I have been using a WIFI connection for my QLED 90T smart TV but the router is so far away from the TV (second floor and other side of the house from the TV located on the first floor), that I was getting an unstable connection. I'm pretty sure the issue was not with the TV, just a long reach for my WIFI. With that said, I decided to use wired ethernet connection. This is also a long run but I fished it through the walls. I am noticing a substantially better and stable connection now. But the question I have is - what is a good upload and download speed for a wiored connection to the TV? I ran a test on the Smart TV using Speedtest.net and got about 45 MBPS download and 41 MPBS upload where the WIFI was much lower - so I "think" thats good and.. I'm noticing a much better speed. However, I also have a computer connected to my internet thru a wired connection and and I am getting speeds of >800MBPS. I have the comcast 1 GB internet plan. I realize smart TVs are not computers so it will be lower, but how much lower? I was wondering if anyone knows what a good "wired" connection for a smart TV should be ? Does Samsung have any specs on this?

4 Replies
userTPwOAGclFV
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Most TVs only have a 100Mb Ethernet port so the maximum you'll get is about 95Mb. 

0 Likes
user05S5KaDx4i
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hmm. Thank you. With that said, I wonder why I'm only getting around 40MBPS download when I have a straight shot of wire going into the TV. On a better note - I am getting the same "upload" speed as my computer though which is about 41MBPS. My computer which is also hardwired is getting >800MBPS download. Which is more important for snart TV? Download? or Upload?

Solution
userTPwOAGclFV
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Definitely download as that is what is used when you stream a show from Netflix for example. It is strange you're only getting 45Mb but I wouldn't worry. A 4K HDR movie from Netflix only uses a maximum of 15Mb so you're not missing out on anything. 

0 Likes
user05S5KaDx4i
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thank you for your reply. Sounds like I'm ok.

0 Likes