cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Is my Q90r tv Dolby Atmos compatible ?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP 😩😩😩

I have read every single discussion about this topic and still have ZERO idea what's going on.

I would be so greatful if anyone could please help me.... Here goes 

I have a 2019 65inch Q90r Samsung tv.

I am running my Netflix, amazon, Stan and Disney+ through a Apple TV 4K. 
I also have a cable tv box connected, aswell as a PlayStation 4 pro .

I have been using a Sonos playbar controlled with my Samsung remote via a optical cable direct to the Samsung tv. Everything works perfectly and has done for the longest time. 

here comes my issue:

I have decided to upgrade my Sonos Playbar to the new Sonos Arc ( arriving in 4 DAYS ) and would like to know if the TV has the capability for me to stream the Dolby Atmos content ( from Apple TV ) IN DOLBY ATMOS πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Im under the impression that the TV doesn't support eARC at the moment and a firmware update is maybe been spoken about from Samsung and that it's only been released for a Samsung soundbar. 

Does HDMI arc support Dolby Atmos , or does it have to be eARC ? 

Can Dolby Atmos go through an optical cable ?

Sorry for the long message I'm praying someone hits me with good news , I won't be sleeping tonight.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Is my Q90r tv Dolby Atmos compatible ?

You should be able to run atmos as long as the content allows it and you have the device running to the soundbar then from the soundbar to the TV. It also only works through HDMI. 

Be sure to click " βœ“ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

The specific answer to the question is no, it does not.  Caleb is proposing a solution that bypasses the TV so that will provide you Atmos which wasn't your exact question.  The lack of eARC has caused much consternation and frustration among Q90 owners.  We've seen the soundbar get the update so the (very smart) OLED owners are set while the (very stupid) Q90 owners are left holding the bag.

If you try to connect AppleTV to the Q90 and then to the soundbar, expect a ton of frustration with lack of Atmos, lip sync issues, etc.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I have the same question as well.  My Sonos Arc is arriving in two weeks and I have the 2019 65" Q900.  

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/4k-8k-and-Other-TVs/Q900-Dolby-Atmos-Support-ARC-vs-eARC/m-p/126...

I'm curious to know how things turn out after you recieve the Arc and test out Atmos capability. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Agreed Samsungcaleb. I haven't had any problems yet but it has only been a few days so let me knock on wood.

Highlighted
Constellation

So, question for anyone - My Q90 has firmware 1356 - I have noticed under expert settings there is an option for 'Dolby Atmos Compatibility' the explaination says 'Set it to On if the audio device connected via HDMI (ARC) port supports Dolby Atmos. The screen the screen may flicker when switching between settings' I would read this as - the Q90 has gotten a firmware update which allows or has upgraded the ARC to allow for DA.  I do not remember this being there in the past although I might have just missed it - Any insight?

Thanks