JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

My remote control turns my TV on by itself :/

(Topic created: 04-15-2020 07:23 AM)
user_steve
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have a remote control that will turn ON the TV 30 seconds after I turn it off.  I know the remote is turning on the TV because I watch the remote and it blinks rapidly, about 7-8 rapid double blinks.  The TV will then come back on.  This happens not all the time, but once or twice a week.  Every time I turn off the TV the remote will do a quick double blink 30 seconds after turning off the TV, but the TV will not turn on.  But every so often the remote blinks a lot (7-8 rapid double-blinks) and turn ON the TV by itself.  This cannot be normal.  I bought the TV 5 months ago.  TV model is QN55Q6DRAF.

I have a 5 year warranty.  Should I get a new remote control?

27 Replies
ClarenceC1
Product Expert
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hey @user_steve 

Hope all is well 

Let's try a reset on the Smart Remote. Press and hold the return/source button on the remote for 10 seconds. This will reset the Smart Remote. You'll then need to re-pair it to the TV. Let us know how it goes.

0 Likes
user_steve
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thank you for the reply.

I held the return button for 10 seconds and then paired the remote to the TV.  I turned the TV on, and it finished the pairing process.

I then turned the TV off.  After 10 seconds, the remote (on it's own) rapidly blinked 10 times (5 rapid double blinks).  The TV did not turn back on.  Usually when I turn off the TV, the remote blinks twice after about 30 seconds and sometimes blinks 8-10 times after about 30 seconds and turns the TV back on.  So I will monitor further and report back if the issue with the remote persists.  Thank you.

user_steve
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Update:  Four days later, I turned off the TV.  After 20 seconds, the light on the remote started rapidly blinking about 10 times and turned the TV on.

So it seems the reset of the Smart Remote di not solve the problem.

I will try out any other solution to fix the problem, but I will let you know that Samsung has offered to send me a new Smart Remote and will arrive in 7-14 days and when that arrives I will be evaluating if it operates normally.  Thanks!

user_steve
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Update #2:  After using the new Smart Remote sent to me from Samsung, I just wanted to update that the new remote is functioning similar to the my older remote.  After the 7th time of use, I watched the lights on the remote, and it did something different from the previous 6 times of use.  The lights on the remote started blinking many times, 20 seconds after I turned off the TV.  It blinked about 10-12 times (mormally it only blinks once or twice).  The TV promptly turned on.  How do I remedy this?  Thanks.

MrLarry
Neutron Star
Options
QLED and The Frame

Does the power button seem like it is sticking? Try taking out the batteries and cleaning the button to see if this corrects this.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
user_steve
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

No, there's nothing sticking with the brand new remote.  My original remote isn't sticky either.  The power button functions the same and feels the same as all the other buttons.  Does the remote need to be dissassembled and examined or cleaned on the inside?  Is there dielectric grease applied to the button mechanism inside the remote?  It's interesting the same flaw is happening on two different units. it makes me wonder if there is a common design flaw.

MrLarry
Neutron Star
Options
QLED and The Frame

I need some more information from you, so I'll reach out to you via private message.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userD83ahrc0ov
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Please let me know how you solved this. I have the same problem. @user_steve 

Solution
user_steve
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Update

Samsung sent me a new remote.  The problem didn't change with the new remote.  Samsung requested I take my TV to a service center for replacement of a circuit board inside the TV.  I didn't want to do that. My solution is not to use the TV remote to turn the TV on or off.  I use instead the remote for my Blu-ray player to power on and off the TV.  This has solved the problem for me.