Original topic:

Neo Qled QN90A Local Dimming Issue/Bug

(Topic created: 08-18-2021 05:52 AM)
Timahhh66
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Posting this as a follow up to the "QN90A local dimming issue" post that was archived and never resolved.  As of the latest firmware, ver1560.5, this bug still persists.  Periodically, local dimming will be locked to the "low" setting causing the whole picture to dim.  Changing local dimming to low, standard, and high shows no visible change when the bug occurs.  This has happened on all HDMI sources and multiple devices.  The only temporary fix is to power cycle the TV which works for about a day.  

Is Samsung working to fix this issue at all?  If not, would Samsung be willing to offer a refund for the TV?

12 Replies
Options
Qled and Frame

Is it happening after you've powered off/on the TV for some time?

0 Likes
Timahhh66
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Yes, it's very sporadic.  My temp fix was to disable "instant on" in the service menu while Samsung's engineers sit on their behinds doing nothing.

0 Likes
useruHjjefa4IY
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I am having exactly same issue with my 85 inch qn90a US model 

0 Likes
Options
Qled and Frame

Can you update your TV to the latest version 1708.0? I don't see the problem anymore on my set after the update.

Timahhh66
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Will give it a go later today.  Hopefully 1708 didn't break something else..

0 Likes
useruHjjefa4IY
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

The local dimming issue still there. 

0 Likes
Options
Qled and Frame

It's absolutely still happening on my 55" QN90A running OS 1708. From a regular power on, Local Dimming settings are broken--it seems like High and Medium revert to Low, and Low somehow reverts to Medium--and the only fix is a hard restart. (Pressing the power button on the remote until the QLED banner appears on the screen.) Then things are back to normal--until the next time you turn off the TV. Clearly after all the months this model has been out this year, Samsung DGAF. Everything else about the TV is great, but for the massive amount of money my family spent on this TV, it is officially now the first and LAST Samsung TV we'll ever buy. Our next TV will be LG. And honestly, the whole "TV leans back on its pedestal base" thing is also sketch AF.

Timahhh66
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Yup, LD is still broken on 1708 for me as well.  Temp fix I posted above still works, but the vast majority of owners won't even know how to access the Service Menu..

Options
Qled and Frame

What picture mode are you on? TV native apps or HDMI devices?

0 Likes