cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

October 2020: what happened to the JULY and now OCTOBER eARC update for 2019 QLED TVs

It's been three months. Why are you such a terrible company?

In Feb 2020: Craig Cunningham, Head of Product Marketing, said  "nothings changed in regards to that [earc on q90r], we will be updating and supporting [earc] as we originally said".    https://youtu.be/NMI7nqS61nI?t=433 

In May 2020: Craig Cunningham, Head of Product Marketing for Samsung, said regarding the Q85R and Q90R that the TVs with the OneConnect box will be getting an update for eARC and that "it has been confirmed" for the "Q90R ... the models that support the one connect box". "It's going to be happening soon"   https://youtu.be/O_fiUJlcoO8?t=4884 

In June 2020: Bruce H., the community manager in the Samsung EU Forum said: "All devices using the MuzeM (T-MSMDEUC) platform will receive the [eARC] update in mid-July. The update has been delayed due to the COVID-19 virus." https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/audio-video/earc-update-voor-q90r-qled-tv/td-p/1780368/highlight...

The Mid-July update (1361.0) came out on July 14th as expected, but eARC support was not included as promised.

UPDATE: An October update (1371.0) came out on October 15th. eARC was not included again. This is now two updates that have not included eARC past the promised July update.

I did a quick non-exhaustive search and there have been 116,629 views on forum threads asking for eARC support for the 2019 QLED TVs. Please let us know what is going on with this update. If it was delayed due to COVID (as you've been willing to non-publicly say to journalists), then just come out an tell your customers. For those of us that own the 65" 2019 Q90R QLED and 2019 HW-Q90R Soundbar, we've given your company at least $5,000 each. You at least owe us an update.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: October 2020: what happened to the JULY eARC update for 2019 QLED TVs

Push - waiting for this and believed samsungs promisse

Highlighted
Asteroid

I got to be honest, i have been waiting for this post! Thanks let's make this happen

Highlighted
Constellation

Also wondering what the holdup is for Earc? I'm on the Q70R. It's a really snake move if Samsung intentionally doesn't give us the update, just makes me lose trust in them. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Time to make some social noise, samsung is trying to bury the topic 

https://twitter.com/Fifise77/status/1311181566740135936?s=20

Add your voice 

Highlighted
Asteroid

I've read in other threads recently that US support had told them that eARC is not coming for the q90R line. If this is true, I won't be buying from Samsung ever again. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

Do you mind sharing the link?

Highlighted
Asteroid

When I bought the TV in January, the Samsung sales reps in Bestbuy said it was coming. Now if you go there, they flat out say no and will refer you to 2020 models. At this point, abandon all hope and never forget.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Update: An October update came out (1371.0).  I installed it and... no eARC again.   I really don't get it anymore.

This update according to the notes  contains:

Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices

I was hoping eARC was a nonchalant way of saying eARC, but sadly nope.  I tested the native apps (Vudu, Netflix, Plex) as well as a device connected to HDMI 4.  The settings didn't mention eARC and I couldn't get TrueHD to play via Plex (only transcoding.) Dolby Digital Plus still works on Netflix/Vudu, etc.

The on-device manual does mention eARC on supported devices. I don't know if that was there previously, but if this was intended to be the eARC update, it isn't working on my Q90R QLED TV with HW-Q90R soundbar.

So disappointing Samsung. This is now two updates past the promised eARC update.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: October 2020: what happened to the JULY and now OCTOBER eARC update for 2019 QLED TVs

It was already a red flag when the original promise was last year. We are all fools to believe it was coming. Samsung basically raised their middle finger to 2019 TV owners just so they can force some sad folks to buy the 2020 TVs. Never forget it folks.