JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Q60T Series remote doesn't control sony sound sytem connected to TV by optical cableoptical

(Topic created: 01-12-2021 09:54 PM)
userz3fjZAc78q
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

New to this forum, first post.

I have exhausted all options I can find In order to have my Samsung Q60 TV play sound through my receiver/ home theater unit. I can’t seem to hook up via hdmi, even though I could to my other older TV Sony Bravia nx700. Receiver has only one hdmi out, but not hdmi ARC out.  I was however able to connect using optical cable. Problem I have now is the remote that came with the TV cannot control volume from  receiver.  I set up Samsung remote in “set up universal remote” when pointing remote at tv and waiting for the sound to turn off it never did. However it did at one point the screen clicked off for only less than a second and the volume control appeared at the left side of TV screen. I thought maybe that did it. Now when I try to adjust volume, on the optical connected receiver, using Samsung remote the volume screen does show at the left side of the screen, the + sign does blink when pushing volume bar towards the up direction and the red led on remote flashes quickly yet no volume changes. I don’t know how else to set it up. Crazy thing is, days ago it worked for two attempts once in the up control and once in the down control. Never again . Or is there a way to set up the Samsung remote to control receiver when remote is pointed at receiver in order to adjust volume

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

Unfortunately this doesn't work. Using the remote to control both devices only works when using HDMI ARC. The optical audio function does not have the ability to communicate the same information as HDMI.

Using optical audio, both devices will retain their own audio levels. You can turn up the sound system and use the television remote to control the amount of sound being sent to the sound system.

View solution in context

6 Replies
user7p7441hohr
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

same problem - how frustrating that it worked once - makes me think there is some way to fix it!

0 Likes
userz3fjZAc78q
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Sso, it's just one more remote in order to listen to and watch all my connected devices. Thats the frustrating thing is that no Ssamsung Techs answer any questions. It's up to "The Community" to chime in. 4 remotes now.
I'll let in on a little secret messenger them at Samsung Support that's where i have received best responses. 

Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

Unfortunately this doesn't work. Using the remote to control both devices only works when using HDMI ARC. The optical audio function does not have the ability to communicate the same information as HDMI.

Using optical audio, both devices will retain their own audio levels. You can turn up the sound system and use the television remote to control the amount of sound being sent to the sound system.

userz3fjZAc78q
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thanks Gill for your easily understandable solution! Nice to see a Samsung Moderator chime in.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

You are most welcome.

0 Likes
dmickz
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

I can't get my Bose Cinemate to power on when I turn on my TV.  I have to use a separate remote.  Is there any way to have my Bose Cinemate power on when I turn on my TV using my Samsung remote?  It controls the volume without issue via optical.  I did the universal remote test; it failed the first time, but successfully powere off with the retry test.

0 Likes