JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Q6FN remote control "Home" button not working

(Topic created: 12-03-2018 10:33 AM)
userH3XjfVkjtX
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have a Q6FN (2018) model which is 2 days old. Last night I was in the settings adjusting the picture for the first time and today when the television was turned on, the Home button on the remote doesn't do anything. Light flashes red on the remote, no menus, no app bar, no nothing. Can't change inputs with the remote, settings or really anything important at all.

I researched it a bit and have tried the following so far: I unplugged the television while off, waited and then plugged it in. Power it up (with the remote) and still nothing. Repeated that process a few times. I have also re-synced the remote (hold Play / Back simultaneously for 3 seconds). It re-syncs successfully, still nothing. All the other buttons on the remote function normal, even the "long" press function of home works which brings up the remote assistance reference number. Short press of Home to access pretty much anything important is the culprit.

Other solutions I've read involve accessing settings to reset the Smart Hub etc. which is of course impossible because I can't get to the settings in the first place.

A little side note for flavor: 7 months ago I got a full refund on a Samsung KS8500 which had 4 repairs in a single YEAR, under warranty. After battling Samsung. I SWORE I would never buy another Samsung product and sat on the money until 2 days ago where after a lot of research I decided to take the leap...give them a second chance. It has the features I want (gaming). It looks great, price isn't bad. My frustration level is well beyond 9000. You know what they say, "fool me once".

122 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

@ userdzosWSqd1h After the installers left, did the television complete an update?

userdzosWSqd1h
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

As far as I know they did. They went through all the settings.  They were able to use the home button to complete the set up.

0 Likes
userxDLZk5b9hZ
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

I had the same problem with my Samsung TV after recent snow storms caused several power outages and caused the Home button to quit working.  The Samsung techs can remotely connect to your TV and do a factory reset. They will instruct you to provide a 8 digit PIN by, yes, holding the Home button for 30 seconds. Obviously, your TV needs to be connected to the Internet OK. After the factory reset you have to go throught the setup again but at least the Home button works again. Here is their support URL"

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2018-qled-tv-q65fn-series

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

Are you able to use the menu button on the television directly?

userdzosWSqd1h
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

The TV is mounted on the wall. Where is that?

0 Likes
userdzosWSqd1h
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

If, by the menu button, you mean the button on the bottom right, when I hold that it gives me the option to change the channel,volume or source. No other options.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

Can you power cycle the television by unplugging it from the wall outlet for 1-2 minutes and while it is unplugged, remove the batteries from the remote then press the power button to discharge.  Plug back in and power up to test. 

0 Likes
userdzosWSqd1h
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

OK, I did that twice. Home button still not working. Ambient button works, as well as the 123 button and others. Just not the home button.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

Is the TV connected to the internet? Have you tried replacing the batteries in the remote?

0 Likes
userdzosWSqd1h
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

The TV is connected to the internet. I can reach Prime Video with the voice command and that's fine.  I'll replace the remote batteries, but all the other functions on the remote works.  

0 Likes