JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Q6FN remote control "Home" button not working

(Topic created: 01-29-2019 11:51 AM)
userH3XjfVkjtX
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have a Q6FN (2018) model which is 2 days old. Last night I was in the settings adjusting the picture for the first time and today when the television was turned on, the Home button on the remote doesn't do anything. Light flashes red on the remote, no menus, no app bar, no nothing. Can't change inputs with the remote, settings or really anything important at all.

I researched it a bit and have tried the following so far: I unplugged the television while off, waited and then plugged it in. Power it up (with the remote) and still nothing. Repeated that process a few times. I have also re-synced the remote (hold Play / Back simultaneously for 3 seconds). It re-syncs successfully, still nothing. All the other buttons on the remote function normal, even the "long" press function of home works which brings up the remote assistance reference number. Short press of Home to access pretty much anything important is the culprit.

Other solutions I've read involve accessing settings to reset the Smart Hub etc. which is of course impossible because I can't get to the settings in the first place.

A little side note for flavor: 7 months ago I got a full refund on a Samsung KS8500 which had 4 repairs in a single YEAR, under warranty. After battling Samsung. I SWORE I would never buy another Samsung product and sat on the money until 2 days ago where after a lot of research I decided to take the leap...give them a second chance. It has the features I want (gaming). It looks great, price isn't bad. My frustration level is well beyond 9000. You know what they say, "fool me once".

122 Replies
LoopBak
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Why is there an update for the Q8FN but not the Q6FN as the symptoms seem identical for both TVs? I still haven't seen an update for the Q6FN to fix my issue and it's been over a month since I contacted Samsung Support and they said a fix was on the way. These are premium TVs, especially the 8, and should not be having issues like this. Please advise on an ETA for a software update to the Q6FN. 

0 Likes
user58L7nNT3lz
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I am currently seeing the same problem on my Q6FN65. I purchased in Nov 2018. Just having the issue today Jan 2019.

Resetting the smart hub required me to go through the setup process and re-login to all my apps which is  huge inconvenience.

0 Likes
Options
QLED and The Frame

Can you try to see if TV is now receiving 1202? My Q7 just updated from 1153 to 1202 over the net without using USB update method.

When issue occurs, is TV connected to network? Also, for those who are still seeing the issue, when you power on the TV, does the row of apps (Home) appear automatically?

0 Likes
userYtou7Y2vgs
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

purchased q6fn mid jan 2019, got delievered 9th of feb, with in 9 hours the home button stopped work and i cant even access the home from voice commnad.. contacted samsung and they did a reset (which i already di cause im not stupid) and same thing came up, i can use voice to access netflix and change hdmi's but thats not the point. what a joke how come i look this tv up before i purchase it but none of these forums were seen but now i own it for less then a day and all i read it issues... no new issues either but stuff thats over a year old

0 Likes
joe2000gt
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame
I just started seeing this issue as well after the 1202 update. Has a fix been discovered yet? Resetting smart hub has not resolved the issue (even temporarily) for me.
0 Likes
userGcuj0eH9ly
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

I'm having the same issue now, first time and bought the tv Black Friday weekend. Had to use voice commands to reset the tv.

0 Likes
userHXnRxOAR75
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

We lost home button and thus the home screen this week also. Last Sunday everything was working but when we opened tv this Wednesday it opens on TVPlus and can't go anywhere from there. Tried both the remote and SmartThings app, but nothing.

Really nice TV, but more or less useless as TV right now. Considering of returning it.

0 Likes
userXNL0IIew0R
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

New TV Q6FN 49 in Europe, had it for few days, same problem from day one.

I tried everything, factory reset, smart hub reset, that smart things app... smart hub won't show after turning tv on. The only way to force it to work is to push ambient button on remote, tv than goes into ambient mode, than after pressing home button few times it will exit ambient mode and show smart hub.

This problem is very frustrating and time consuming to troubleshoot. Very disappointing to read all of this and what seems to be such a wide spread problem for such expensive tvs.

0 Likes
userUw0a9lfacI
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Same story here with home button not working at all.  Completely disappointing to have bought this and am unable to actually reset the TV myself!  Reset is grayed out and I must rely on somebody at Samsung to maybe oneday respond to the service request I sent in from the TV.  In theory they can reset it over the internet.  They're never going to call, I know it.  So I'm scouring the web to find how others might have been able to reset it.  For gosh sakes, my little $30 Raspberry Pi has a reset pin - why can't a $1200 smart TV?   Are they really so confident that only they know how to reset a computer?  Terrible design choice.  

FWIW, the trouble seemed to begin when I got a replacement DVR from Spectrum.  The new device wasn't recognized by the TV at first.  Later it figured out what was going on and wanted to add it again.  It offered to skip some of the setup and conginue using previous Spectrum settings, which I agreed to.  I should have said no start over from scratch.  Then weird things started happening, like the sound bar was no longer being recognized by the TV.    This is a service outage problem for Samsung!  I hope there are some fires lit in their dev centers to figure this out ASAP.  Meantime, I have no idea how I would even get a patch into this device.  I think for the home button, its all over.  Probably will have to return to Costco.  Not interested in the whole charade of changing remotes and waiting for weeks.  

0 Likes
userYtou7Y2vgs
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

my current experince with samsung support with this issue
we'll escalate you to level 2
we'll escalate you to level 3
we'll escalate you to level 4
misses the level 4 phone call so have to start again because there is no direct line to any level department so now im back to level 2
ive reset tv twice, done a factory reset, paired and checked tv remote 3 times also checked bluetooth signal and changed batteries, gotten mixed signals about current update for tv, got told that 1202.3 was the current one then next call told me it wasnt then a live chat convo told me it was but i checked and confirmed tv had 1202.3 update using usb stick. today recieved a call about fixing my remote which has already been resolved 3 days ago. heres an idea samsung stop passing me onto other people who dont know how to fix the tv and just send someone to fix it or take your malfunctioning product back and replace it. better yet fix your bluetooth/firmeware problesm that seem to be affecting multple products

0 Likes