JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Q6FN remote control "Home" button not working

(Topic created: 08-01-2018 11:53 AM)
userH3XjfVkjtX
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have a Q6FN (2018) model which is 2 days old. Last night I was in the settings adjusting the picture for the first time and today when the television was turned on, the Home button on the remote doesn't do anything. Light flashes red on the remote, no menus, no app bar, no nothing. Can't change inputs with the remote, settings or really anything important at all.

I researched it a bit and have tried the following so far: I unplugged the television while off, waited and then plugged it in. Power it up (with the remote) and still nothing. Repeated that process a few times. I have also re-synced the remote (hold Play / Back simultaneously for 3 seconds). It re-syncs successfully, still nothing. All the other buttons on the remote function normal, even the "long" press function of home works which brings up the remote assistance reference number. Short press of Home to access pretty much anything important is the culprit.

Other solutions I've read involve accessing settings to reset the Smart Hub etc. which is of course impossible because I can't get to the settings in the first place.

A little side note for flavor: 7 months ago I got a full refund on a Samsung KS8500 which had 4 repairs in a single YEAR, under warranty. After battling Samsung. I SWORE I would never buy another Samsung product and sat on the money until 2 days ago where after a lot of research I decided to take the leap...give them a second chance. It has the features I want (gaming). It looks great, price isn't bad. My frustration level is well beyond 9000. You know what they say, "fool me once".

JUMP TO SOLUTION
122 Replies
joe2000gt
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame
The remote reset worked for me as well. Been almost a week without a reoccurrence. Although I actually had to tell him how to do his job because he was ready to send me a new remote and stated he learned something new when I directed him to this thread.
0 Likes
userWnJ7QeovZN
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

This is ridiculously painful.  It keeps happening any every time all my settings get wiped out... With all the apps you have to sign in to again it takes forever. Between sitting on hold and explaining things to Samsung Support and getting them to agree to remotely reset it... Then setting everything up again 2-3 times a week when I try and watch tv.... This is a ludicrous "solution". The TV is practically unusable.

0 Likes
userUKYv6WPFtK
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Same issue on a Q7.

I was able to use the buttons on the TV to get into the settings menu and perform the factory reset myself. Reseting just the smart hub did NOT fix the issue. Unplugging the TV for ~5 mins did NOT fix the issue. A full factory reset did fix the issue for now.

Reseting up is painful, but at least I didn't have to go through support.

0 Likes
DRosales
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I gave up on my controls. The original completely stopped working, then I tried a universal which never connected to the TV, then I ordered an original Samsung remote aaaaand NOTHING. Then, after losing all hope, my phone (Samsung S10+) has SMART THINGS which connected to the TV and now bye bye controls and problems

0 Likes
userLGs8rlXmfG
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have the Samsung Q7FN 2018, had the same problem. I took the batteries ot off the remote and set it down for 5 minutes. The tv then recognized it didn't have a remote connected, and ssid to reset it on screen. Then i put the batteries back in and It works.

0 Likes
user9rVrnmiyBe
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I've had a similar issue. 3k tv not even 2 weeks old menu bar with apps frozen but moves in the background. Meanwhile my old Samsungs work without any hiccups for years. Poor software updates. But seriously this shouldn't be happening to a brand new Top of the range tv Q7065inch. How'd you end up fixing your problem? 

Cheers

0 Likes
GandalfTheGrey
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have had this problem twice before with my Samsung 55" Smart TV. Everything works on the remote except for the home button.

I fixed it both times by replugging the power cord into the back of the tv. Oddly enough, if the power cord comes even slightly unplugged from the back of the tv, it will mess up the remote. And as you already said ... with no home button you can not access the smart hub or settings.

A small bump to the tv or surge protector will cause the power cord to come loose from the tv. As soon as I replugged in the power cord the remote worked correctly. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Custnam
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

I found this thread after looking for a solution to a similar problem I am having with my Q6FN. Anytime I press the home button for the first time I get a grey box saying "not available". So I have to wait for a second and press it again and it usually works after that. I know this isnt even near as bad as it not working at all, but this was the closest thread I could find with a similar issue. I have tried the soft reset, swapped batteries, but havent dont a full reset because there are a couple apps I am not sure of the PW anymore and dont want that hassle if it can be avoided. I have 3 other "standard" remotes that all do not have this issue. So maybe I just need a new remote?

0 Likes
ARSY51
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

So I have a Samsung UN55MU8000FXZA (55" MU8000 4K UHD TV) and we had a power outage last night. This morning, every button on the remote worked fine except the HOME button. So this is the rabbit hole Google led me on.

Before contacting Samsung tech support, I tried the re-pairing (hold Back and Play/Pause at same time), tried power-cycling the TV, tried removing the batteries from the remote and putting new ones in, and all of those resulted in the same thing: no joy.

So I ended up in an SMS tech support session with Samsung and was told to remove the batteries from the remote, to hold down the power button for 8 seconds, put the batteries back in, and try again. No joy.

But I figured, why would holding down a Power button with no power source in the device actually work? So with the batteries still in the remote, I held down the power button for 8-10 seconds:

1) The TV shut off

2) About a second after me holding it down, the LED started flashing fast

3) About 7-8 seconds later, the LED stopped, and the TV turned back on.

4) I let go of the Power button.

5) The Home button started working again.

0 Likes
userRBoUyBJPkO
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Just bought a brand new 2020 frame 55".  Double checked the TV is having the latest and greatest software.  One day my Home botton brought me to the dark side.  And here I am.  This is probably one of the longer thread in this community - 12 pages so far.  I can't read every single one.  But looks like Samsung had reused the same buggy software over the years.  I know I probably need a remote reset from Samsung.  And I may have to live with Samsung tech support in the future to do more reset.  But I also have to option to return it now.  Should I return it?  Either way will be a lot of work.  A lot of wasted time.

0 Likes