cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userN0heCjF7B4
Constellation

Q8 QLED - does remote have IR transmitter?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I wanted to ask the community:

- Does the remote for the qn82q8fn have an IR transmitter?

- Do you have any recommendations for getting the Samsung qn82q8fn remote to sync with the NAD C658 for volume control?

Backstory:

I have a Samsung Q8 QLED TV model qn82q8fn which is sending audio signal to my NAD C658 audio unit via digital optical, I don't have the HDMI expansion card in my C658 so ARC/CEC over HDMI is not an option.

I would like to use the Samsung universal remote to control volume on the C658 but am having issues getting it synced up.  I've tried a variety of manufacturers and devices under the universal remote setup on the Samsung TV, as well as tried the IR learning function on the C658 but nothing has worked so far to get the Samsung remote and C658 working together.

After contacting Samsung support about this they told me that the remote for the qn82q8fn is bluetooth only and does not have an IR transmitter which I find a bit hard to believe.  I've also contacted NAD who says they are in the process of partnering with Samsung for universal remote but haven't deployed that functionality yet.  I'm trying to keep from needing to spend $300 on the HDMI expansion card for the C658, or buying something like the Logitech Harmony universal remote.

Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Q8 QLED - does remote have IR transmitter?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The One Remote has IR, however, it is only for power. Everything else goes through Bluetooth. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The One Remote has IR, however, it is only for power. Everything else goes through Bluetooth. 

View solution in original post

userN0heCjF7B4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK thanks for the update.

Does Samsung offer alternative remotes (we really like the ease of use and simplicity of the Q8 remote) which use IR for more than just power, or do I need to look deeper into alternative options like the Harmony?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

There are no alternative remotes offered for this model. From personal experience, you will have many more options for customization with an alternative option such as a Harmony. 

userN0heCjF7B4
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Got it, thank you for the details and quick reply!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No problem! You are very welcome. Good luck with the set up!