cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Q80R soundbar not recognized by Q90R TV in HDMI 3 ARC

Yes, but they should fix these issues now. It has been over a month since the user above hit the nail on the head with his/her complaints and radio silence from the board moderators. Still sending out defective products and selling them as a high end sound bar at Best Buy and other locations. I bought mine through Magnolia and have already called them to request a replacement but I am worried it will

have the exact same issues.

Highlighted
Constellation

Do any of you have a PlayStation 4 plugged in? I have the Q80R soundbar and 65" Q85R TV and if I leave the PS4 plugged in when switching on, ARC won't work and the TV won't 'see' the soundbar. I suspect that the PS4 is 'blocking' the ARC handshake; as soon as I unplug the PS4 (by the way, it can be completely powered off and this issue still happens), ARC will work fine (I may need to go into TV settings and 'find' the soundbar).

I have spoken to Samsung Support and they said as far as they're concerned, as it works fine without the PS4, it's the PS4 to blame. I've tried various cables and settings (disabling HDMI CEC on PS4 and TV etc) but nothing seems to be working.

It's a pain but the only solution I found is leave PS4 unplugged unless I want to use it, and if I do, turn everything on first, ARC connected then plug in PS4 as this works fine.

If anyone has a solution to this I'd love to hear it.

I've updated firmware on the soundbar to latest version (July 19) and reset both TV and soundbar to factory settings as advised by Samsung but didn't cure the handshake issue.

Highlighted
Constellation

It is not only PS4 . I have my cable box connected on an HDMI input on my LG C9. If I unplug the cable box and power on TV and Q90r sound bar the ARC works. If not it doesn't 

Highlighted
Asteroid

I've had same/similar issues in this thread: 

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Home-Theater/Brand-New-HW-Q80R-Soundbar-not-keeping-setting-for-...

Basically, Samsung have properly dropped the ball here and looks like there's no proper fix!

Highlighted
Constellation

I have this issue with a Q70R TV.  The optical input doesn't work either.  The unit works fine as WIFI connected.  I'm wondering if there's a problem eith the external inputs board.

Highlighted
Constellation

Same issue, exactly. There are no other devices connected to the soundbar via hdmi.  Reverts to tv speaker.  I can go to settings and configure to use the soundbar, but have to do it several times before it works, and it will drop it and I have to repeat the process every time I turn on the tv. And, the soundbar does not turn on when I turn on the tv, either.  NOTE: it worked fine for months, then this began happening recently.  So it is an issue with firmware and a software bug.  This is a thing, Samsung!

Highlighted
Astronaut

Have the Q80R TV and Q80 Soundbar and have the exact same issue. 

I've had technicians come out and basically just reset the equipment which only temporarily solved the problem. Days later, the issue comes back. I'm so done with this. My warranty ends in September so I'm going to call to see what my other options are.

I truly believe it's the TV HDMI ports, not necessarily the soundbar. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Okay everyone, how about this...

I have now had 4 brand new HW-Q80R soundbars that have exhibited this exact same behavior on 2 separate Samsung televisions (a Q90T 65" an a Q90T 55") all of which were updated to the latest firmware, but all of which also exhibited the exact same issue with the default, out-of-the-box version of firmware that came with the devices. Initial connections are seamless via HDMI ARC, but then 2-3 days later, when turning on the devices, the televisions revert to TV Speakers and the only way to resolve the issue is to pull the power cord on the HW-Q80Rs, wait a minute or two, and then reconnect.

I have spent several hours on the phone each time with Samsung techs, all of whom claimed to have never heard of this issue, even though you can pull up thousands of articles and forums where the issue is noted. I've done factory resets. The technicians themselves attempted to reset the tables remotely on the devices, but to no avail.

It appears that the soundbars and/or televisions are doing something at an interval of (max) 2-3 days -- perhaps some sort of internal polling -- which then hiccups and creates connectivity issue over HDMI ARC. Whenever I jump into the television settings to change the sound source due to the issues, HDMI initially displays as one of the four available options, but as soon as I select it, the option will disappear. Maddening, it is.

As far as I can assess, Bluetooth and WiFi aren't necessarily impacted, but I cannot confirm this 100%, as I haven't tested each device on those connections for more than a day, as I shouldn't have to. If I want an ARC connection, then ARC should work 100% of the time. Period.

There is obviously some sort of firmware flaw in these devices, but where that flaw exists is apparently unknown and Samsung is reticent to acknowledge this. Very frustrating, indeed.