Original topic:

Q80T - High-pitched whine on ambient mode.

(Topic created on: 2/1/21 1:13 AM)
MineDraped
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Hello,

I received a brand new 75" Samsung Q80T one week ago.

I absolutely love it.

Coming from a 9-year-old 52" Samsung LCD, this has been absolutely mind-blowing.

However, last Thursday I was testing out different ambient mode backgrounds and settings when I suddenly noticed a very high-pitched sound coming from my television.

It's not coming from the speakers or soundbar.

It's emanating from the entire TV.

It starts the moment I switch to ambient mode, before anything is loaded and thankfully disappears when I leave.

Every other mode, app and input I've tested so far is still fine, but ambient mode is unusable due to the noise. Even 9 ft away it's terribly annoying.

My questions are whether this is a known issue and whether it is software or hardware related.

If it's possibly hardware related, then I will definitely exchange the TV. If it's software then I hope I'm not the only one experiencing this and it will be fixed in a firmware update.

My TV says that I'm running version 1460, which appears to be the latest version.

Thanks!

Edit: I just tried connecting my phone to my TV using the Smart things app. The moment Bluetooth was activated, I got the same high-pitched noise from my television.

This may have just been from the screen it took me to (ambient mode style background with a music player at the bottom), rather than Bluetooth itself. Once I changed inputs, the sound stopped even though the devices were still paired.

I can't get the TV and app to work together properly, but that's another issue altogether.

4 Replies
user3Cz8dXl9nw
Astronaut
Options
Qled and Frame

I am experiencing the exact same issue with Ambient mode on my 75” Q80t. I have a loud whining noise emanating from the back of the television when switched to ambient mode.
Ambient mode was a deciding factor for me when choosing this television but it is on usable as the noise is extremely bothersome. I look forward to hearing what the reply is from Samsung.

MineDraped
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this too.  Before going into the entirety of my story and what I've learned/experienced since I first posted, here's a brief version in case people don't want to read an entire novel:

I highly recommend that you or anyone else experiencing this to please exchange your TV for a new one if possible and please post on this forum to try to get Samsung's attention on this matter.

That said, here's the rest of my thoughts, experiences and what I've learned regarding this problem:

I called Samsung twice and got basically the same answer both times:  "Because your TV is so new, we recommend exchanging it at the store where you bought it if possible.  We could send out a technician, but that would take longer."  Both representatives said that they'd never heard of the problem, but that it sounded quite serious to them based on my description.

However, after posting this I found tons of other threads by people with the same issue on this forum (and elsewhere online):

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/4k-8k-and-Other-TVs/Samsung-80t-Buzzing-Noise-During-Game-Mode/t...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Qled-and-Frame/Q80T-high-pitch-noise-on-ambient-mode-and-sometim...

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/samsung-q80t-buzzing-noize/td-p/2373276

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/4k-8k-and-Other-TVs/Q80t-buzzing-sound/td-p/1259105

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Qled-and-Frame/Q80t-whining-on-Netflix-and-Ambient-mode/td-p/133...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Qled-and-Frame/Samsung-Netflix-App-Buzzing-Noise/td-p/1233479

There are more, sadly.  A Samsung representative only replies in the first one I linked to (out of all of them, I believe) and tells the person to exchange/return it.  They don't say what the problem is, only that it shouldn't happen on update 1460.  I don't understand the lack of official replies in the other threads or in this one.  I truly expected someone from Samsung to reply to me when I posted and am horribly dismayed that no one ever bothered.

I eventually learned that mine made the same noise in Ambient Mode, when I connected my phone to it using Bluetooth and also in Movie Mode on some inputs (Firestick 4k for example, but not on Dish Network).  I wouldn't be surprised if there were other modes I hadn't checked/found yet.  Absolutely bizarre.  And scary.

When the installers came to my house to do the exchange, they both stated that this was likely a serious issue, and almost certainly something electrical.  One was a repair technician as well and said he didn't think it bode well for the longevity of the TV, though he admitted he didn't know the cause.  He threw out some potential ideas, but that's all they were.  He also said that he'd been around and worked on a lot of these sets and that he'd never heard this sound before.

And that's the biggest problem here: No One Knows.  Samsung has stayed mum about what's causing the issue and 'fixed' it for some people (especially the Netflix app apparently) with update 1402.  Their silence on the cause is deafening.  Is it software/firmware?  Hardware?  A combination?  Who knows.  I personally think it's hardware related at this point, but that's just me and two professionals who were dumbfounded.  An official answer would be nice.  Beyond nice, actually, considering that many people in the threads I linked to seem to be stuck with TV's making this noise and for all anyone knows those sets may be doomed to fail in a few years.

It's also bizarre that the issue seems isolated to the 75" version of the Q80T.  Something seems to be wrong with this specific size of this specific model.  That alone should get Samsung's attention before it attracts the attention of attorneys or even Attorney Generals.  These aren't cheap, low-end, off-brand televisions we're discussing here.

I can tell you that my new TV makes NO SOUND whatsoever in any mode I've tried, which was a huge relief when they set it up. This also proves that it's an issue with specific sets, obviously.

However, I've now learned that my replacement has a different set of problems: Wi-Fi connectivity strength and major issues with the Steam Link App.  I only got it recently and haven't had a chance to test everything.  I can't believe I'm looking at possibly having to exchange another $3,000 TV.

I've been hoping and waiting for someone from Samsung to reply in this thread, but it sadly hasn't happened.  I still hope that they do because this is patently unacceptable.  I've been a loyal Samsung customer forever (I'm typing this on an 11 year old Samsung 1080p 52" TV I use as my PC monitor and which has performed flawlessly the entire time) and expect much better from the number one TV manufacturer in the world.

Thanks for replying, sorry for the book-length reply and incredibly sorry you're dealing with this issue.

0 Likes
userrTtCYuU2Ey
Astronaut
Options
Qled and Frame

I am also experiencing this in both Game mode & Ambient mode. The TV is 2 months old. Extremely frustrating as I bought this TV specifically for usage with the new next-gen consoles.

0 Likes
MineDraped
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I'm very sorry to hear that.  Game mode wasn't affected on the TV I returned/exchanged, but it seems common for the people affected.

I recently managed to get a Playstation 5 and have no issues with using it on my replacement, thankfully.  So like I wrote above, these sounds are not normal and don't happen with every set.

I wish I had some better advice beyond what I wrote above.  Better yet, I wish Samsung had chimed in here by now and offered their own advice/insight.

Really the only thing I can say is to contact them or (if possible) the place where you bought the TV (especially if you bought a good extended warranty).  Samsung did offer to send out a technician, but that was just silly in my case because the TV was only like a week old.  The representatives I spoke with both said it wasn't normal.

If you do get a technician out, make it clear that you want a replacement (new, not some refurbished thing).  The last thing they should do (in my humble opinion) is to start replacing parts willy-nilly trying to pinpoint the cause.  On my defective TV, the sound was coming primarily from the top half of the set.  It could have been anything, from faulty capacitors to things I've never even heard of (I'm a layperson).  The installer who brought my replacement threw out some ideas and one of them was that it sounded like something inside the set was trying to draw the wrong amount of power.  He then listed half a dozen things which could be doing that.  Along with multiple alternate theories...

In other words, I hope you can get a replacement and hope you don't have to fight too hard to get one. It's your right to get a non-defective version of what you paid for.

If need be, show them the first link I posted in my second post where a Samsung representative on here explicitly tells someone that this isn't normal and to get a replacement.  He doesn't say "repair."  Repairing things that are two months old is almost as silly as repairing ones that are a week old.  Especially expensive electronics.

I still can't believe that this is happening on Samsung's upper-tier QLED models.  If I'd paid less than $1,000 for a 75" TV, I'd be upset and want the problem fixed, but I wouldn't be on here ranting the way I am.  This is just unacceptable on so many levels.

Best of luck and please keep us updated!

0 Likes