cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Q8DT Sonos Playbar and WIFI

I just purchased a Samsung Q8DT and a Sonos Playbar.  I cannot get the Samsung Smart Remote (K Series) to control the volume on the play bar.  I have extensively searched the respective company webistes for help but the corrective steps do not apply.  I connect by Q8DT to the internet directly through my wifi connection.  I do not have a home sound system, cable box, satellite box or anything else.  Just the TV and the soundbar.

All of the troubleshooting advice say to go to Universale remote/start/ but there are no options for wireless or any other connection other than a control box. 

I also understand that the Playbar uses IR but the Samsung remote does not or needs to be reconfigured for IR?

Can anyone help?  Seems to me it shouldn't be this hard.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Q8DT Sonos Playbar and WIFI

I'm sorry to hear that, how do toy have the playbar connecting to the TV? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

The only way to connect the Playbar to the Samsung TV is via the optical port from the TV into the optical port for the Playbar

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Can you please provide the model number for the television?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

QN65Q8DTAF

Highlighted
Astronaut

Exact same issue. Please let me know when you get a solution. I went through the universal remote setup on the TV and it still didn't work. I believe you're spot on with the IR issue. Is there a certain universal remote we need to buy to control the TV and sound bar?

Highlighted
Constellation

Ultimately I could not get it resolved as the Sonos remote transmits on IR and the K series Samsung remote uses Bluetooth.  The Sonos documentation/on-line help/app set up indicates that you can trick the Samsung remote to transmitting on IR but that's incorrect.  Additionally, the Samsung TV set up does not have an option for connecting the sounbar as it presumes everyone uses some type of home theater setup, which in my case doesnt apply as I connect wirelessly direct to the internet without any other device between the router and the TV.

After hours of research and frustration, I came across a link (sorry dont have it now) that said it all comes down to the Sonos IR (via the Sonos app on my iPhone) and the Samsung Remote Bluetooth.  The post said the only solution was a universal remote, and suggested something like the Logitech Harmony remote - which depending on the option you select - can be a bit pricey.

As the last things I need is technology to frustrate me, I coughed up the $ and bought the Harmony Elite although less expensive Harmony remote are available.  To my everlasting joy after setting up the Harmony everything works as it should - consistent with the product brand name.  In addition, the remote will control future devices I may purchase.  The Logitech web site has a tool that you can use to enter the product you want the remote to control and it tells you if it will and other important information.  However the Harmony will work with over 2700 devices so it should work for you.

Ultimately this has been a frustrating user experience that was unexpected in this day and age of the IOT et. al.  I realize that Samsung has their own objectives, like selling soundbars as well, which compete with Sonos so logicallly the desire to make their product compatabile is likely low to non-existant.  Ditto on the Sonos side, which also frustraingly wants you to use either an AI device (Alexa et al) or your smartphone to control the soundbar.  I understand the simplicty of supporting only one technology on their part but some of us out here just want to put the phone in the other room, not talk to an AI device, and just watch TV the old fashioned way.

Further, both Samsung and Sonos would do well to keep in mind the Apple model which pretty much ensures you just have to turn a product on, follow a few simple steps, and everything works.

Hope this info helped you - and perhaps others.

Highlighted
Constellation

Did you find a solution other than buying another remote 

just bought a q90 and gave same issue