cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
versaceboy54
Asteroid

Q8FN No Atmos via prime (Jack Ryan UHD) No sound with Dolby Digital +

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a nackamichi shockwafe pro sound bar hooked up via arc to my q8fn and im unable to get atmos to work when trying jack ryan uhd via prime. When i go to sound settings and click dolby digital+ i loose sound completly and get a pop up message saying  "dolby digital + option is only available via arc for external devices that support the format" which my soundbar clearly does support. ive tried to swap out servel high speed hdmi cables and still nothing. Im also fairly certain my issue is NOT with the sound bar because dolby digital via arc works fine and im able to get atmos via apple tv 4k (netflix). 

please help!! why cant i get dolby digital + to work?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Q8FN No Atmos via prime (Jack Ryan UHD) No sound with Dolby Digital +

JUMP TO SOLUTION

At this point, we will need to set up service to have a technician check the television. Please send the model and serial numbers to this PM Link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How is everything set up? Please provide the full model code and current software version of the television.

versaceboy54
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Nakamichi sound bar is hooked up via it’s dedicated arc port to arc port (hdmi 3) on q8fn. Then my Apple TV4k and Blu Ray player are hooked directly into the soundbars hdmi 2 and 3 ports. 

I have no issues getting Dolby digital to work via arc it’s just Dolby digital + that won’t work.  I’ve tried serveal high speed 18gps 2.1 hdmi cables as well and I’m not sure what more I can do?

atmos works fine for Apple TV and blue ray player. 

The model code for the tv is QN65Q8FNB software is current 1260.8

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is there anything else connected to the television? ARC is Audio Return Channel, the devices connected to the soundbar are not using ARC.

Dolby Digital + is for use with an optical audio connection.

versaceboy54
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i dont know how accurate that is:

When i go in to expert sound settings it specifically says "dolby digital + is only avilable via ARC (HDMI)"  if what you are saying is true it would say dolby digital + is only available via optical audio connection. 

Im trying to get atmos to work for Jack Ryan uhd on prime through the tvs native app. it is only playing in dolby digital NOT Atmos. Enabling Dolby Digital + is what gets atmos to work. Thats why im saying its not working and im told it should. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My apologies for the mix-up. Dolby Atmos is not the same is Dolby Digital +. Dolby Atmos is not available via ARC.

versaceboy54
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For this particular soundbar Dolby atmos is processed through Dolby digital + for atmos on prime.

But Atmos aside though, im also not able to get Dolby digital + to work at all for anything non atmos related either. I’m told several native apps like hbo go, NETFLIX, prime etc use Dolby digital plus and any time I enable it the sound goes out and I get that message I quoted above. 

Ive been on numerous sites dedicated to q8fn owners who all say Dolby digital plus works on their TVs for new content on both Netflix and amazon prime. 

Can you help me with that?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is the soundbar up to date? Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee compatibility with third party devices.

versaceboy54
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes soundbar is up to date. I have also posted in the av forums in both sections dedicated to the q8fn and this nakamichi soundbar and I’ve been told it by others with this exact tv and soundbar combo that dolby digital + Should work when enabled bc it does for them. 

Is it possible I have a bad arc port (hdmi3) or something else going on with the tv that needs to be replaced?

im fairly certain the issue is not with the soundbar bc I am able to get all other sound codecs to work properly including regular Dolby digital  when bitstream is selected on the TVs sound settings. It is only when I try to enable Dolby digital + on the tv that I loose sound and get that pop up message. 

Please tell me what the best thing to do at this point would be?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

At this point, we will need to set up service to have a technician check the television. Please send the model and serial numbers to this PM Link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post