cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Q90R TV 4K@120hz support

What chroma format does the Samsung 4K Q90R TV support in 4K@120hz signal? Does the Q90R support:

1) 4k@120hz 4:4:4/RGB or

2) 4k@120hz  4:2:2 or

3) 4k@120hz 4:2:0

And does the tv support HDR in 4k@120hz?

I'm asking this because apparently the Q90R is not receiving a HDMI 2.0 -> 2.1 upgrade as its bigger brother the 8K Q900R. This means that the bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 is the limiting factor for perfect HDR 4k@120hz at chroma 4:4:4/RGB.

Is anyone aware what is the best level of 4k@120hz that the Q90R can handle? Samsung has just told us that Q90R is capable of 4k@120hz but hasn't elaborated on it any further. The customer service people also have no clue about HDMI bandwidths and actual limitations. What's for certain 4k@120hz 4:4:4/RGB shouldn't be at any means possible with HDMI 2.0b.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Q90R TV 4K@120hz support

I tested it extensively on my Q90r, because I really wanted 4k@120hz as well.

The result is, the Q90r can do 4k@120hz with YCbCr 420 (as described in the manual), but without HDR! HDR can either not be turned on (for example in Windows 10), is ignored by the program or image and color errors occur with HDR enabled at 4k@120hz. The only thing that works without problems is 1440p@120hz and activated HDR (with RGB and YCbCr).

Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks for the reply! This answer helped me a lot as I'm looking for a tv for PS5 which will support 4k@120hz. I was going to opt for the Q90R for it's ability to show 4k@120hz. However, if (and according to your tests as) the Q90R doesn't support HDR in 4k@120hz will pass on it. HDR makes such a big difference in the visual of games and it's a must.

Highlighted
Astronaut

PS5 4k@120hz, sorry but that is not viable. Look at your high end gaming PCs just now, 2080ti's struggle to output consistently at high graphics settings on 4k120hz

If PS5 does support that the graphics settings on the game will be shocking.

I game on PC, PS4 pro and Xbox one X.

PC looks far better at 1440p ultra setting than any game I have played on either console at 4k. Mainly down to the reduced FPS and graphics settings on console.

This won't magically get better with the PS5 as there is no way a console at around the £400 is ever going to output high quality graphics at 4k120hz when graphics cards that cost the better part of £1500 can barely do it.

I wouldn't wast too much money on a TV that supports 4k120hz if your primary concern is gaming on the PS5.

Highlighted
Constellation

You obviously aint been keeping upto date with next gen consoles cos xbox series x will support 4k at 120fps, infact it will supporr 8k at 60fps, the reason a 2080ti's graphics will be shocking is because it doesnt have hdmi 2.1, yet. The new consoles will be on par or better than a 2080ti depending on who you listen too.

Highlighted
Constellation

xbox one x which is the more powerful of next gen consoles tops out at 12 teraflops of computing power whereas a 2080ti has 14.2 so the next gen consoles will still fall behind the current top tier gpu, what the next gen consoles appear to have an upper hand over pc is in the type of ssds they tend to use which will benefit load times and switching between games alot more efficient and quicker than it is on pcs even with nvme ssds atm, what everyone is forgetting also is that no one can say for definite what this port is capable of since there is no hdmi 2.1 devices out as of yet, and port 4 on one connect box is definately more advanced than the standard 2.0 port because of its ability to support 120hz at 4k albeit currently at a lower chroma level but this is more down to gpu its being connected to atm as it is a hdmi 2.0