Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userF0mzkbssJL
Asteroid

Q90R firmware requests thread

Hi all,

I thought it would be good to list out all the fixes/updates you'd like to see in future firmware updates to the Q90R. Even if someone has already mentioned it, please repeat the item so popular items can be seen. It would be great if mods could forward this to the relevant team. Thanks.

1. Improve local-dimming in game mode with HDR content. Currently, some bright game HUDs can cause quite unsightly blooming which is distracting. Probably my biggest gripe with the Q90. One solution might be to offer a variant or toggle in game mode that sacrafices some latency/brightness for superior dimming. Maybe even incorporate this into the local dimming setting where medium offers this alternative (with a suitable description so players know). Currently the setting appears to do nothing. The dimming in game mode is quite strange. It works well with video black scenes but really struggles with above black scenes, particularly when there are no/very few bright elements. Some games allow you to customise their HUD and having *more* HUD can result in less blooming!
  2. Add e-ARC. Currently it is not possible to use high quality audio (e.g 5.1 PCM) with Freesync as devices need to be routed through your AVR which stops Freesync from working. Go directly to the OCB and you have limited sound options. It's one or the other. Plus, being able to go directly to the OCB would remove any latency of the AVR.
  3. Work with Nvidia to become G-Sync approved.
  4. Allow to disable turning on devices over HDMI-CEC. Currently, whenever I switch to the input for my AVR on the Q90, the TV turns my PS4 on. Super annoying. I've had to turn off HDMI-CEC on my PS4, which means I now can't turn on the PS4 and have it automatically switch to the right input on my TV/AVR.
  5. FIx the issue where the TV defaults to TV audio every time it's turned on, hence it won't turn on my AVR and I need to switch it on manually (I never use TV audio).
10 REPLIES 10
jcampbell474
Constellation

Re: Q90R firmware requests thread

Two things:

1)  PC audio.  It is rarely sync'd.  Dish Network Hopper 3 is the source, although I've seen it using the native apps Netflix and Prime Video.  It's super annoying.  The only adjustment allows it to be delayed more, which doesn't make any sense.  (No sound bar is being used.)

2) Picture settings.  After multiple adjustments w/in the same category (Standard, Movie, etc...), the category must be reset for accuracy.  Side note: It would be nice if the settings could be saved to our Samsung account.  They could be shared, imported, and applied.  

userCU5oSrMU3v
Astronaut

Totally agree with the above request ! 

SantaFox
Constellation

Good list. I also greatly appreciate some "Info" button that works one the TV level, not on the app level as now. Like when you have a PC connected, you can see a current resolution, SDR/HDR/HDR10/HDR10+ mode, sound format and so on.

It should work regardless of the information provided by the app (like Plex or Netflix).

userON2DbDGiAi
Constellation

I agree with all of the above. Also, fix the HDR gaming problem where in game HDR sliders don't work. Video detailing the problem here: https://youtu.be/iyAx7NkOM04

Samsung have given me months of run around over this. First they blame games consoles. Then tell me they acknowledge it's a problem but won't be fixing it unless more people complain. So I've gotten several people to complain but all get told different things by Samsung. Samsung have promised me call backs but call then hang up on me as soon as I answer. After threating them with legal action they finally call me and ran tests via remote access. They ended with this is a software issue and will send the fault over to their software engineers and will contact me with a final solution. Not heard from them since though. 

If they don't fix these issues I'll simply move over to a rival brand s flagship products instead. 

All Samsung 2019 QLED's suffer the same problem it seems.
userMjRNRWRPM8
Constellation

There should be an option to disable sub-pixel rendering under expert settings for those who would like increased contrast and are less worried about wide viewing angles. I would also like there to be some changes to the local dimming algorithm, as there is sporadic blooming on these sets. 

userpMcqB20hwR
Constellation

Will the 75q90r please get eARC?

Also Atmos sound for Disney+ app!

ShanB
Asteroid

eARC would be amazing. I cannot pass FreeSync through my AVR and the Q90R will not pass Dolby Atmos back to the AVR, so I can only use one or the other. Very disappointing. 

userF0mzkbssJL
Asteroid

Lack of e-ARC is such a huge oversight imo for the reason you mentioned.

userKioS7fP64D
Cosmic Ray

I'm not a gamer, so I don't quite understand some of this. But... as a cynic... I suspect Samsung wants to focus on future products, rather than past & present products. I've always tried to buy products that met my personal specs, rather than products that I hoped would meet my specs some day in the future.

I have given up hoping that products that are already out there get improvements that I want. I know, from working in the software industry, that some things are easier than others and that sometimes hardware limits software improvements. My next tv won't be a Samsung.

I'm not happy with my Samsung QLED TV's audio sync and connectivity issues. I don't expect them fixed, so I've already taken Samsung off my list of potential purchases.