cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cosmic Ray

Q90T Game Mode Issue: Scrolling Horizontal Bars

I'm using my Q90T with PS5. HDMI 2.1 plugged directly into port 4 of the TV with Game Mode turned on. Resolution is 4K with HDR enabled, 60Hz. Firmware is 1403.

With these settings there are faint horizontal bars scrolling up the screen. Enough to be distracting. The only way to get rid of it (without turning off Game Mode or HDR), is to turn on Game Motion Plus. Just turning this on with Blur and Judder Reduction set to 0 and LED Clear Motion turned off gets rid of the issue. Of course, just turning on Game Motion Plus adds input latency, which is what I want to avoid since I'm not trying to use these features. Is this a bug?

Other Picture settings:

Picture Mode: Game (HDR)

Game Mode Settings:

- Game Mode: On

- Surround Sound: off

- Dynamic Black Equalizer: 0

- Game Motion Plus: On (but with all sub-options off or 0)

Expert Picture Settings:

- Brightness: 50

- Contrast: 50

- Sharpness: 0

- Color: 25

- Tint: 0

- Picture Clarity Settings: off

- Local Dimming: High

- Contrast Enhancer: Off

- Film Mode: Off

- Color Tone: Standard

- White Balance: default

- Gamma: ST.2084

- ST.2084: 0
- Shadow Detail: 0

- RGB Only Mode: Off

- Color Space Settings: Native

4 REPLIES 4
Astronaut

Re: Q90T Game Mode Issue: Scrolling Horizontal Bars

What kind of TV are you using?
Cosmic Ray

65in Q90T

Astronaut

ok, I can tell you a solution that I found in kind of a similar scenario and maybe that will help put you on the right track. I had an Xbox one and an LG TV using my note 10+: I had to find a setting on each device that was similar to what I needed. Once I found that setting for each device I had to mess with the settings to get the lag out first, then move on to the HDR. The problem ended up being that my device was able to use the HDMI 2.1 but not with my Note 10 + in game mode. So once I used an alternate high-speed cable I was able to correct the issue. Hopefully this helps.
Cosmic Ray

Appreciate the input. In this case, both devices (PS5 and Q90T on port 4) both support HDMI 2.1. It's odd that turning on Game Motion Plus, which is adding latency, ends up helping the problem. I suspect it's that Freesync turns on with Game Mode, which I've seen other problems with before on the Q90T. PS5 doesn't support VRR yet (it will in a patch), so my guess is this is causing sync issues.

So I can probably not use Game Mode for now (I think it's just turning off things I already turn off anyway), but it still seems like a Game Mode bug. So I'm hoping either Samsung can correct it and/or that Game Mode just works when PS5 enables VRR.

I found a couple other posts that describe the same issue with other devices:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2020-samsung-q90t-owners-thread-no-price-talk.3138076/page-104 - "I have horizontal lines that constantly scroll up the screen"

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Qled-and-Frame/q90t-game-mode/m-p/1384212 - "on game mode there are horizontal lines that move up constantly"