cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Q90T Game Mode limits my PC and Xbox One X resolution to 1080p 60hz and no HDR

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If I try to turn on game mode, my PC suddenly no longer supports up to 4K60 or 1080p120, but instead only goes up to 1080p60.

Similarly, my Xbox One X won't support 4K or any HDR if the TV is in game mode, either.

I'm using the same setup and cables (multiple devices to an AVR, HDMI from AVR to TV) as with my previous TV, and with the previous TV (a Sony X850D) I did not have these problems, even if that TV was in its game mode setting.

My AVR supports HDMI 2.0, and all of my cables are either 2.0 or 2.1.

Also, if I plug a cable directly from the PC or Xbox to the TV, it will work in game mode, just not through the AVR, even though the AVR did not impede anything when I was using the Sony X850D as the TV.

I believe my PC's OS and video card (Nvidia GTX 970) drivers are up to date, and my Xbox One X is up to date.

I'm not sure what to do about this?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Q90T Game Mode limits my PC and Xbox One X resolution to 1080p 60hz and no HDR

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When Game Mode is set to On or Auto, the FreeSync(VRR) function is activated.

These are the supported resolutions in Game Mode:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Q90T Game Mode limits my PC and Xbox One X resolution to 1080p 60hz and no HDR

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm sorry to hear that, can I have your full model number and current software version number? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Model Code: QN65Q90TAFXZA

Software version: 1115, also listed elsewhere as: T-NKMAKUC-1115.5, B1040700/B10101, BT-S

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When Game Mode is set to On or Auto, the FreeSync(VRR) function is activated.

These are the supported resolutions in Game Mode:

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I don't know why this has been marked as a 'Solution', because it is not a solution to my problem, and I did not mark it as a solution!

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The television does not support this resolution in Game Mode. You can find out more in the user manual here: Link

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm sorry, but that is incorrect.  When I directly connect my PC to the Q90T, and I turn on Game Mode, I am able to set my resolution and frame rate to either 4K 60hz or to 1080p 120hz just fine, while Game Mode is on or off.

The problem is when I connect my PC to my AVR, and then my AVR to the PC, and I turn on Game Mode, I am then limited to only 1080p 60hz, despite both HDMI cables (from PC to AVR, from AVR to Q90T) being HDMI 2.1 cables, and despite the AVR supporting HDMI 2.0 (which supports 4K 60hz and 1080p 120hz), and despite the fact that the AVR did NOT previously cause this problem with my older Sony X850D TV, even when in its version of Game Mode, because with the older TV in this arrangement, I could still get 4K60 or 1080p120.  

But with the Q90T, in this arrangement, for some reason, I have to turn Game Mode off in order to get those higher resolutions or frame rates at the moment, even though that should not be an issue from everything I can see.

And again, I'm looking at my Q90T right now, powered on, hooked up directly to my PC via HDMI 2.1 cable, and Game Mode is on, and it is currently running at 1080p 120hz, and a moment earlier I had it set to 4K 60hz as well.  The Q90T clearly supports both, if I connect the PC directly to the Q90T, even when Game Mode is on.  The support for these resolutions and frame rates is there, as it should be given the specifications of the Q90T.

So, I am still left wondering what the problem may be.  It seems like it must have something to do with how the Q90T is communicating with the AVR, but I could not say exactly what the issue is.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Incorrect. The Q90T definitely does support 1440p in Game Mode on both PC and Game Console input mode; the manual is simply not complete. It's also been tested by several review sites.

However, it'll automatically disable freesync when you enter this mode. Game Mode can be used without Freesync, thankfully so because my panel changes it's gamma when VRR/Freesync is enabled so until I get a replacement I'll avoid it like the plague ;p 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same problem. I can't get 4k or HDR to work on my Xbox one X.