cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Q90T download speed is slower than expected

I've just purchased and set up my 2020 Q90T 65" tv. The TV quality is excellent. I've identified two issues so far. The first is regarding network speeds, and the second regarding how it detects my Apple TV. I'll make a separate post about the Apple TV. 

Summary of problem: Whether connected on wired ethernet, or on 5Ghz wifi, the max download speeds I'm able to achieve on the TV is ~45-50 mbps. The same test also tests upload speeds, and the TV acheives ~90mbps upload when wired, and ~190mbps when on 5Ghz. I am expecting the TV to be able to achieve ~90mbps download speeds when wired, and ~190mbps download speeds on 5 Ghz. I'm testing using the internet browser on the TV, going to speedtest.net. 

My internet connection is 300mbps up and down, and this speed is verified on my wired computer, and using my 5Ghz wifi on my mobile phone and my Apple TV. 

When I test my Apple TV using the same wire and connection port, the Apple TV is able to achieve ~90mbps up and down, and on 5Ghz, is able to achieve ~190mbps up and down. My phone and laptop are both able to achieve ~190mbps up  and down when connected to the 5 Ghz wireless network.

Regarding network speeds, I've got a gigabit lan network set up at home, as well as 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless networks. It's taken me a bit of time to figure out the max speed the TV can achieve, because there's no documented specification for the lan (wired) port speed. Based on my testing I believe it is 10/100mbps. Assuming this, the TV should be able to achieve ~90mbps when wired. And, since the TV can clearly upload on the 5Ghz network at ~190mbps, it stands to reason that it should be able to download at that same speed too. However it keeps capping at around 50 or 60 mbps. 

This is a problem if I'm streaming any 4k content, be it Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex, or other. 

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this further? Anyone else having the same issues? 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Q90T download speed is slower than expected

Exact same scenario/issue on brand new Q80T, anyone comment or offer a solution?  It's def a TV problem not the wifi/lan at house

Highlighted
Constellation

No one has done a speed test on their tv ??

Highlighted
Astronaut

It is definitely a TV issue.  I have that issue with my 85inch Q90T as well and it is extremely annoying.  Interacting with Apps are extremely slow in loading and sometimes it freezes....like what the heck!!!!!  I have to countlessly turn off my TV and turn it back on, sometimes it doesn't even fix the issue.  Some thing is going on here and needs to get fix immediately or I am going to refund this TV!

Highlighted
Constellation

Same issue here! I have a solid 450mbps connection but my 2019 QLED 75in maxs out at 140max on 5G wifi and under 100mbps on wired ethernet. My Samsung Note 20 Ultra on the same wireless network does over 450mbps no sweat. Samsung should be putting the same quality wifi cards in there TVs, especially in there higher end ones whats up with that???? Only work around I see is if there is a way to bypass there Wifi card with an upgraded aftermarket via USB but im being told that the USB port is only for flash drives and cant handle wirless recievers. Pretty bad look on Samsung if they are putting such slow ethernet cards and wifi cards in there new TVs. Fast internet cards are nothing new or fancy!