Original topic:

Q90t not running 4k/120hz with HDR on PS5

(Topic created on: 1/17/21 11:59 AM)
chuckh03
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

I copied this from another consumer, trying to find out if this is a hardware issue or a software update before my return period is over.....SAMSUNG PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS FOR ALL INQUIRING USERS!!!!!!!! THIS IS LIKE THE FOURTH COMMUNITY POST ON THIS AND STILL NO ANSWERS?!?!?!? PLEASE SEE MY OTHER POST AND CONVERSATION WITH @SamsungCaleb....SHOULD WE LOOK FOR ANSWER ON SOCIAL MEDIA ABOUT THIS TV OR CAN WE GET AN ANSWER FROM SAMSUNG???

I've seen a reoccurring problem with new ps5 owners and the Q90T. The Q90T is able to output 4k 120hz with no problems. For some reason the Q90T can't output HDR along with with 4k 120hz signal. I know the PS5 is maxed out at 4:2:2 for 4k 120hz, is there any way the Q90T can play 4:2:2 HDR with 4k 120hz?

7 Replies
ZaCloud
Astronaut
Options
Qled and Frame
I don't know if Samsung even looks at these forums. Seems like it's for us to help each other, while privately contacting Samsung is the only way to reach them. So I'll try from one community member to another:

All video signal uses bandwidth, and HDR uses up a lot. A TV's or monitor's top listed stats usually are for basic signal within listed subsampling range. Depending on the source, monitor, and cable bandwidth capability, you can often trade off one aspect for another, such as turning refresh down to 60hz but then being able to achieve 4k at 4:4:4, or turning down to 4:2:0 to achieve 4k at 140hz, or 2k to achieve 4:4:4 140hz, etc.

If you're already hitting the ceiling/maximum stats, you can't add HDR to those particular parameters because all available bandwidth is already taken up.

So you'd have to lower whichever one of those three main aspects would be least detrimental to your experience, in order to make elbow room for HDR. For text readability, you'd want 4.4.4 and 2k-4k, so lower the refresh rate. If only smooth motion matters, then jack up the hz and lower the resolution and/or chroma subsamples. And somewhere in there, see if there's room for HDR with acceptable sacrifice, if it looks worth it.

Sadly it's a numbers race, and most consumers don't know which ones are actually important vs imperceptible. They'll look for the biggest K and the biggest hz, but be unaware of whether or not many other video options can fit those numbers or not. And hardware companies don't feel like being forthcoming with the full picture (heh) or offer their customers the truly best experience... They just want to make more sales than the competition by upping certain numbers and telling buyers that those are the most important. Like the old bit-wars in early console days (which got far less reliable at the Jaguar's claim of 64 bits), Sega's "Blast Processing", etc.

But yeah. Currently most screens are being sold with claims of what's doable, but not doable WELL. To get those numbers all to their highest without compromises, as well as a bit of future-proofing... You'd have to specifically find what each model's limits are, and whether it can do ALL the things you want at the same time.

Those'll be expensive, and you'll have to find deep honest capability stats with or without this or that feature.

(Also, newer vs older HDMI cables are a factor, so if possible find out their bandwidth capabilities. It's not about gold this or that, just pure bandwidth and the company being reputable.)

So yeah, try turning some aspects down and see if HDR becomes available or not. And see if it still looks good enough to keep using.

Good luck!
0 Likes
chuckh03
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame
Appreciate the response...guess I'm confused bc the tv says its capable of handling 4k/120hz AND HDR with the 2.1 output which im utilizing in port 4. Also the Xbox series X will allow the above referenced resolution which is confusing. At the same time its doesn't seem to be a console issue being that the PS5 can achieve the 4k/120hz with HDR on the LG X series....so I again ask, is this a software update we are waiting on or is the tv (hardware) not capable as advertised??
AMBocanegra
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame
to add to this, I had my Q80 running 4K 120 VRR HDR and the most recent firmware update to the TV broke it. HDR now will not function with 120hz enabled on my Xbox. It's absurd.
0 Likes
chuckh03
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame
Anyone concerned wit this, there is an article in tech radar today that this will be corrected by March...there's an update that will fix issue, its not a hardware issue as was originally worried!
user9mfuLUYNF4
Astronaut
Options
Qled and Frame

It’s April 2nd so did the update ever come out? I never heard or seen anything about it. If not did you find a fix? My tv still says it’s only running 60hz. 

0 Likes
chuckh03
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame
Hey there...no update that I'm aware of yet unfortunately
0 Likes
user9oUf1Cnjly
Astronaut
Options
Qled and Frame

I'm having the same issue. 4k /120 works on desktop but sometimes games will show no signal and I need to restart my PC to be able to use it. I've been a Samsung fanboy for a while but this Q90T is one of the worst purchases I've ever made. 

0 Likes