Original topic:

QN90A 85" Neo QLED local dimming artifacts

(Topic created: 07-04-2021 12:33 PM)
useriS47dEw36v
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

Have a QN90A 85" NEO QLED and it is getting these local dimming artifacts while navigating menu items within Kodi connected to Nvidia Shield.  Artifacts glow about a second then disappear and only happen in standard or high local dimming setting.  It might also happen in low but its not noticeable.

Otherwise, its a great TV but i have to wonder if this is noticeable here, where else is it present compromising picture quality.   i was debating between this and an oled and went with this given the stellar reviews and larger size.  my choice now is to return it or wait and hope this is something that can be addressed in a firmware update.  btw, its on latest 1560.5 firmware.

20210628_192649.jpg20210628_194727.jpg

0 Likes
5 Replies
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
Qled and Frame
OLED is the way to go. Any back lit or edge lit TV will be susceptible to clouding or edge bleed issues, and now local dimming issues.
0 Likes
Bat Tech
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I saw this and showed it in a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st9tlpI1zrM

Samsung needs to tweak their local dimming. They need to speed up the transitions.

If you go OLED like the other person suggests you will see a similar effect called image retention. The problem there is that cannot be patched by a firmware. All OLEDs have some form of image retention that fades away.

Give it time and I'm sure Samsung will make improvements to the local dimming.

Detailed look in gaming and movies with Samsung's first Mini LED 4K television with comparisons to the Sony Z9D. QN75QN90AAFXZA / QN75QN90AAFXZCHDR10/HDR10+V...
0 Likes
useriS47dEw36v
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

that is exactly the issue i'm having.  here's a more direct link.

https://youtu.be/st9tlpI1zrM?t=1017

only worry is that it will be something that can be addressed by software and not a hardware limitation.

Detailed look in gaming and movies with Samsung's first Mini LED 4K television with comparisons to the Sony Z9D. QN75QN90AAFXZA / QN75QN90AAFXZCHDR10/HDR10+V...
0 Likes
userZdkCLxi8vE
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

You won't see distracting image retention on OLEDs in normal content. Not even visible in dark games with HUDs in HDR. 

0 Likes
Bat Tech
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

You don't see this in "normal content" either. Its in menus.

You have a higher chance of image retention in watching sports or long sessions of gaming with huds, etc.

0 Likes