Original topic:

QN90A sound drops when using earc passthrough (q950a soundbar)

(Topic created: 05-22-2021 05:53 AM)
user5YqfV21oxs
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Hi everyone, hope you all can help. 

I have a qn90a Qled and I recently also purchased a q950a soundbar. When listening to lossless atmos via earc passthrough (either from nvidia shield-plex or blueray discs), I unfortunately have major audio dropouts. I also get dropouts, though much less frequently, when streaming content through apps on my nvidia shield (Disney +, hbo max, etc).

Dropouts are about 2 seconds long and they can occur anywhere from every 15 minutes to every 30 seconds (when very bad). It's honestly unwatchable. There are no dropouts when using samsung tv apps.

When connecting my nvidia shield or blueray player to the soundbar directly, I do not get any audio issues....but I also can no longer use q-symphony, which is also big reason why I went with the tv/soundbar combo. 

I have tried factory reseting the tv, soundbar, and external devices. I firmware updated all devices.  I have replaced all hdmi cables with brand new audioquest pearl cables ($50 each). I have tried using different hdmi input ports. I have unplugged all devices for several minutes. 

It seems to me that the problem lies with the earc passthrough. What do you guys think?

Should I schedule a samsung warranty request?

Thanks so much 

17 Replies
userkSvt0nGSXc
Astronaut
Options
Qled and Frame

Is this in Qsymphony mode?    I have the same hardware, but only when in Qsymphony mode the TV speakers will drop out for 2 seconds every 10-15 seconds continuously until the TV is AC cycled.    Then after ~1 hour, it will start again.   When in this bad mode, TV speakers alone or soundbar alone work. But if I switch back to Qsymphony it is still bad.  Only recovery appears to be AC cycle.

0 Likes
user5YqfV21oxs
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Hey, 

The problem still persists even if I turn off q-symphony, though I have yet to try power cycling the TV and then testing for audio drop off via regular earc passthrough (q symphony off). I will try it when I get home on Sunday and return here.

I did get to test my xbox series x and pc and there are even worse audio cutoffs in games and movies. As it is right now, I cannot game via hdmi 2.1 and use my sound system. Very very bad.

I also tried connecting my hw-q70r to the earc port, and I still get sound dropoffs when playing regular DD 5.1 or DD+.

A technician is scheduled to come on Tuesday,  so I'll report here of what he says. Honestly,  as it is right now, if there is no fix, I am returning this TV to besbuy. This $3700 TV is currently unusable for gaming (if I want to use a sound system).  

It's a darn shame since it's image production is so beautiful. 

0 Likes
87uhhgdr4556
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I recently got rid of two of my samsung tvs. I returned my QN90A a few days ago. Constant eArc issues with audio dropping. Samsung has major eArc issues that they refuse to fix. I picked up a Sony a80j OLED. Love it. 

0 Likes
87uhhgdr4556
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

In the settings under Audio/Sound. Try turning your eArc from Auto to off. Keep on pass through on and keep the dolby atmos audio checked. 

You may have to accept having audio issues or switching to another brand like Sony or LG.

user5YqfV21oxs
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Ok will try, but would this still allow lossless atmos to be sent to my soundbar?

And yes,  absolutely will return for another brand as this is absolutely unacceptable. I essentially cannot use my xbox or pc with hdmi 2.1 and surround sound. I also cannot use q symphony. Hopefully it is just my qn90a.....I couldn't imagine all these reviewers on YouTube and on the web completely missing a bug like this.

0 Likes
87uhhgdr4556
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Yes you will likely still get atmos. Check your display on the top of your soundbar and see if it displays dolby atmos while playing video after you switch eArc to off. And a lot of those people on YouTube get paid. 

My Samsung q70t dropped audio every hour with 3 different high end soundbars. No fix for over a year. The Samsung q950a, q900a, and the Sonos Arc with subwoofer. I ended up keeping the Sonos Arc with sub. The Samsung soundbars lack bass and play music poorly. 

I ended up selling the Samsung q70t tv and bought the Samsung qn90a. The qn90a dropped audio every 20 minutes on everything that i played and was worse with youtubeTV and Hbomax. Samsung customer support was no help so i returned the qn90a for a Sony a80j OLED. No drop out issues with the Sony. None. The qn90a is vastly overpriced. 

Samsung tvs have had eArc issues since 2019/2020. There are tons of people online complaining and Samsung ignores them just like us on this thread. Samsung refuses to acknowledge the issue so nothing gets fixed.

I'm done with Samsung tvs and soundbars. Sony and LG are better options.  

0 Likes
davebwi
Comet
Options
Qled and Frame
The laters firmware 1506 has resolved my audio And Lip sync issues completely..I now run all HDMI connection thru TV and all audio thru earc port to Soundbar..works perfectly!! No drop out after many hours of watching!
0 Likes
user5YqfV21oxs
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Hey, thanks for the headsup!

So it auto updated the latest firmware. I  power cycled my TV and tried out some media, but unfortunately I still get audio drop-offs/crackling with passthrough when using my nvidia shield. I will try with my Xbox, but I am not hopeful. 

Maybe I have a broken TV?

What type of content were you listening to? Was it lossless?

0 Likes
davebwi
Comet
Options
Qled and Frame
The laters firmware 1506 has resolved my audio And Lip sync issues completely..I now run all HDMI connection thru TV and all audio thru earc port to Soundbar..works perfectly!! No drop out after 6 hours of watching!!
0 Likes