Original topic:

QN90A sound drops when using earc passthrough (q950a soundbar)

(Topic created: 05-24-2021 12:30 PM)
user5YqfV21oxs
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Hi everyone, hope you all can help. 

I have a qn90a Qled and I recently also purchased a q950a soundbar. When listening to lossless atmos via earc passthrough (either from nvidia shield-plex or blueray discs), I unfortunately have major audio dropouts. I also get dropouts, though much less frequently, when streaming content through apps on my nvidia shield (Disney +, hbo max, etc).

Dropouts are about 2 seconds long and they can occur anywhere from every 15 minutes to every 30 seconds (when very bad). It's honestly unwatchable. There are no dropouts when using samsung tv apps.

When connecting my nvidia shield or blueray player to the soundbar directly, I do not get any audio issues....but I also can no longer use q-symphony, which is also big reason why I went with the tv/soundbar combo. 

I have tried factory reseting the tv, soundbar, and external devices. I firmware updated all devices.  I have replaced all hdmi cables with brand new audioquest pearl cables ($50 each). I have tried using different hdmi input ports. I have unplugged all devices for several minutes. 

It seems to me that the problem lies with the earc passthrough. What do you guys think?

Should I schedule a samsung warranty request?

Thanks so much 

0 Likes
17 Replies
davebwi
Comet
Options
Qled and Frame
I am watching HD cable TV , hdmi cable into hdmi1 on Qn90a...hdmi3 out to soundbar..It never worked before, I had to run cable box to soundbar then Arc to TV..the way its connected now,I would of droped audio every 5 minutes for a second, then audio back..worst part was sound was lagging video..drove me crazy..now its perfect...
userAtGIrQJxuz
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

Ditto

0 Likes
userBfyS0jmRAV
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

I'm having this same issue when watching through my apple tv.

I have hw-950a through hdmi 3 using a 2.1 hdmi cable. Then I have my apple tv plugged into the hdmi 4. When watching Dolby Atmos content the sound will drop every 15 minutes or so and it totally ruins the experience.

0 Likes
userVvuPMPObG7
Astronaut
Options
Qled and Frame

Unlike everybody here I have a Sony TV and am experiencing the crackling, which starts after around 30 min, then it crackles all the time until I turn off then turn on the sound bar. It really is an annoyance. I will try to connect it as the last person who wrote about connecting the Apple TV 4K directly to the sound bar, then the sound bar to HDMI 3 eArc and hopefully won't lose dolby vision along that. if it works, then awesome as I already updated to the latest firmware and such, replaced the TV because I thought it was the TV, and now I am afraid it might be the sound bar.

0 Likes
userAtGIrQJxuz
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

To everyone experiencing this issue. I have seen several relatively complex (not complicated or hard) ways to address this. I have had My Q950A sound bar and Q800T TV for about 2 months now and was continuously getting dropouts every 20 or 30 minutes that would last about 1 second. I have played with many different configurations of Pass through, no pass through etc. Last week I shut off my sound bar and went with TV speakers only. I had the same issue from just the TV (So it is not the sound bar causing it). SO I tested a new physical setup. I connected my Xfinity X1 cable box directly to my sound bar on HDM#1,  with the TV connected to the sound bar on the eARC HDMI connection. Sound quality is as good as it has ever been (including all surround formats) and I have had ZERO dropouts for a week! I have not yet tested on my Xbox which is still connected direct to the TV. If dropouts happen here I will try HDMI connection to sound bar HDMI#2..Good luck all!

0 Likes
userAtGIrQJxuz
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

just a quick update on my post above. System working flawlessly still and I have full control of sound modes etc through the tv. Full surround including Atmos.

0 Likes
SamsungStephanie
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Qled and Frame

Thank you for the update. Glad you were able to resolve the issue and is now enjoying the Soundbar.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
user3PFr7cw9so
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

This is not an acceptable solution. The original poster clearly mentioned Q-Symphony not working with TrueHD. Standalone soundbar always works. Q-Symphony is the number one reason for me to buy a QN90A and Q950A combo. I have been waiting for a long time for a fix. Yesterday my TV got upgraded to firmware #1706 and now it is actually even worse and the sound is dropping constantly.

Do you have any plan to fix this? Any ETA?

0 Likes