Cosmic Ray

Re: Samsung Q70R TV turns on by itself

JUMP TO SOLUTION

just open the About tab and scroll down 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same problem. The Samsung recommended solutions do not work. 

The problem: My 49RU8000FXZA restarts a minute or two after I turn it off. It doesn't do it all the time, maybe 1 out of 4 times. Like someone else, I noticed that when it restarts, the logo appears and it doesn't return to the app it was on--it always goes to a channel on the Samsung Plus app, even though I only use Hulu/Netflix/Prime. I also noticed that even when it doesn't restart automatically, when I power the TV back on, there's a 50/50 chance I have the problem where the logo appears and it doesn't go back to the app it was on. So, like someone proposed, I believe something is causing it to reset. I've taken my remote out of the the room and I still had the problem, but I live in an apartment so it's possible the remote wasn't far enough away to block the signal. I have no HDMI or other external devices connected to it right now (I usually use a soundbar, but I haven't plugged it in since installing this TV).

Long story short, I think the theory that the remote is somehow resetting the TV has merit. I'm going to set up my old Harmony remote to work with the TV and take the batteries out of the Samsung remote to see if the problem continues. My harmony remote is super slow, so I hope that there's another solution.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a Q70R, same problem with the TV turning itself back on. Super annoying and frankly embarassing from Samsung. Can't believe they haven't fixed this.

I can confirm that taking the batteries out of the remote and using the phone app works. However, upon waiting a day or two I've discovered that the app will no longer turn the TV on. I have the option enabled in the Network settings, so I can turn the TV on/off with the app for a given amount of time. Wait a day or two, and the TV stops recognizing the phone app. So I have to put batteries back in the remote, turn it on... rinse and repeat.

One would think paying top dollar for a fancy TV would get you a proper TV... This is not that. Totally regretting buying this TV now.

Oh and let's not forget that Samsung is one of the few vendors that does not allow Freesync to be compatible with Nvidia. I have a 2080 super, would love to have Freesync for gaming... like every other vendor is now doing this.. except Samsung.

The last Samsung I will ever buy. Wish I could take it back and get a different TV.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issue with my 43" Q60R (EU version) as well, and I believe it's most certainly the remote's fault. I have the small smart remote -- I belive it's called the One remote.

I managed to reproduce the restart issue a few times (not consistently though). Step one is have some app open, e.g. YouTube. Then turn the TV off by pressing the power button once. After the TV is off, start mashing the Bixby microphone button many times until the remote's LED stops blinking for your key presses and starts blinking on its own pace. Here's the fun part: if the remote is pointed at the TV, the TV restarts with the QLED logo and loses the last app. If I block the IR transmitter on the front of the remote with my hand, the TV does not restart on its own. However, if I press the power button too soon after, the TV turns on with the QLED logo and loses the last app. But if I wait long enough, say 5 minutes, pressing the power button turns the TV on with the last app. Go figure...

Working solution: Put some black electrical tape on the front of the remote to block the IR transmitter from turning the TV on on its own.

Solution we want considering the price we paid: Samsung should acknowledge this issue and replace all faulty remotes.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userxDhiCikAwy wrote:

Working solution: Put some black electrical tape on the front of the remote to block the IR transmitter from turning the TV on on its own.

Sure doesn't work for me. I put black tape on and I can completely control my Q70R Samsung. I have a 2019 US version 49" Q70R. So, things in the EU could be different. I don't know how my remote works, but it sure isn't via IR, at least with the remote that came with my tv, which I've had since November 2019.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

sorry, you do not understand, this remote works IR and Bluetooth, so of course it will still work with the Tape, but in Bluetooth mode... 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unplug the TV for 30 seconds.

• Unplug the TV from the wall outlet or surge protector for 30 seconds, and then plug it back in

Try to update the software.

• In some cases, a software update can correct the problem. There is a risk, however. If the TV turns off during the software update, it could damage the TV. Updates can take up to 30 minutes depending on network speed, so if the TV is not turning off too frequently, try updating the software.

Disable the Power On with Mobile option.

• TVs that can connect to SmartThings can be turned on using compatible devices, sometimes automatically. However, if abnormal "power on" signals are sent through the wireless network, they will trigger this function and make the TV turn on.
  • If you do not want this function, navigate to Settings > General > Network > Expert Settings > Power On with Mobile, and turn the setting off.

This type of issue will need to be addressed by having the unit serviced. If the unit is in/out of warranty you can use the following link to find a list of service centers near you that can do the repair: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

2018 Qn9F65N I was able to resolve the Issue by removing The Television from The SmartThings App...Hope this helps someone!!

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Jesus! What the heck is all this nonsense???

We bought an insanely expensive smart tv you have to unplug all devices from everytime you turn it off?

I dont have words, is this a stupid prank from Samsung, or what? 😂😂