cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Contributor

Re: Samsung Q70R TV turns on by itself

JUMP TO SOLUTION

By default, some HDMI devices are set to turn the TV on when they turn on. This feature is Anynet+, also known as HDMI-CEC, and allows you to control both devices with your TV remote. If you want to turn on your devices separately, you can turn off Anynet+ in Settings > General > External Device Manager, but you will no longer be able to use your TV remote for both devices.

Unplug the TV for 30 seconds.

Unplug the TV from the wall outlet or surge protector for 30 seconds, and then plug it back in.

Try to update the software.

In some cases, a software update can correct the problem. There is a risk, however. If the TV turns off during the software update, it could damage the TV. Updates can take up to 30 minutes depending on network speed, so if the TV is not turning off too frequently, try updating the software.

Disable the Power On with Mobile option.

TVs that can connect to SmartThings can be turned on using compatible devices, sometimes automatically. However, if abnormal "power on" signals are sent through the wireless network, they will trigger this function and make the TV turn on.

If you do not want this function, navigate to Settings > General > Network > Expert Settings > Power On with Mobile, and turn the setting off.

If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help, here are some service options:

- If your unit was recently purchased, you can check with your retailer on their return/exchange processes.

- If you have an extended warranty you can reach out to them to have service processed.

- If you're within the one year warranty, you can Private message one of our moderators to have service processed.

- If you're OUT of warranty, you the following link to locate a service center in your area by using the link below

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

But this is not a solution as it's written. You are simply telling us one possible reason why it's automatically turning on. Are you suggesting that people disable those two options? What are the impacts of disabling those options? Please explain this in your solution. Thanks. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No. This is not a soluttion. 

I have a new RU8000 with same issue.

The tv connected to WiFi only.

The issue happens after hour or two of watching.

When I power off the tv, after 15-20 seconds the tv turns on by itself.

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You don't have any devices connected to the tv?

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

And how do we shut off this "feature"?  I don't know what HDMI-CEC or Anynet+ is, I just know this TV should not be turning on after my family goes to bed.  It's wasting electricity and the life of the TV.  I have the latest update.  I do not have a cable box, but do have a firestick and OTA antenna.  I use the Firestick's remove to turn off the Firestick and TV at the same time, so I have no idea what signal the TV could be receiving to turn on.  I just want to know how to turn off this feature.  The TV is outsmarting itself apparently....

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You can disable the Anynet+ by going to Settings>General>External Device Manager>Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) and turn the feature off.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So with this not being a solution, is there any other suggestion for this issue? My TV is almost 6 months old now and it seems as though it's becoming more frequent that this "turning itself on after being turned off" issue is happening? 

This was an expensive tv to buy. Is this something I need to claim under my first year manufacture warrenty? Would be extremely disapointing for something to happen to my tv... 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

this solution is totally inappropriate, do you think we buy such an expensive TV and discover that it's not possible to connect it to a Home Cinema Solution???

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you don't know what HDMI-CEC is, then Google is a good place to start. Basically it allows devices connected via HDMI to control each other in a limited way. Thus, a cable tv box can turn a tv on.