cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Samsung QN49Q6FN remote control volume control does not work with Optical Out

The remote works fine with the TV speakers but has no effect when using Optical Out. I see the volume graphic flicker with each depression but the sound volume doesn't change. It works when using my Fios remote.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung QN49Q6FN remote control volume control does not work with Optical Out

What device are you using with optical? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Constellation

Re: Samsung QN49Q6FN remote control volume control does not work with Optical Out

I am using a Boston Scientific soundbar and an Oticon Hearing Aid streamer connected to a splitter. The optical out goes to the splitter, then on to each device from the splitter. I tried disconnecting the Oticon streamer but no help.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Unfortunately, Optical Audio does not support Volume Control in the same way that ARC does. 

Highlighted
Constellation

What does that mean? It works with my Fios remote.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

The two devices have independent audio operation which means that turning up the volume on one will change the amount of sound going to the other device, however, the other device's volume only changes due to the volume of the input.

How is the Fios connected to everything?

Highlighted
Constellation

It is an HDMI connection from the set top box to the TV.

Highlighted
Constellation

Will this TV work with a bluetooth soundbar?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

HDMI supports this function, Optical Audio does not. 

You can find more information about connecting Bluetooth devices here: Link

Highlighted
Constellation

What are you talking about? I am asking if I can connect a Bluetooth soundbar and you are talking about HDMI and Optical Audio. A Bluetooth soundbar would not be connected to either HDMI or Optical. I am looking for a solution to overcome the awful shortcomings of this TV. I don't want to invest in a bluetooth soundbar only to find out it won't work. I have seen internet posts about bluetooth soundbars not syncing with the picture. Will that be a problem with this TV? Sound does not seem like its strong suit.