cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Samsung QN75Q8CAM 4K QLED TV won’t properly recognize my Apple TV 4K

I have a 2017 4K QLED Smart TV. The model number is QN75Q8CAM. My TV software version is 1280. About two weeks ago, my TV began malfunctioning. Usually, I just reset and unplug my accessories, and everything starts working.

However, this time it didn't work. My TV is inaccurately identifying my Apple TV 4K as "DirecTV". Usually, it properly identifies as "Apple TV" and displays an Apple TV logo. I also cannot control the Apple TV, with the Samsung remote, as I used to.

Is anyone else having this issue or does anyone have a solution for this? I have tried resetting my Samsung TV and unplugging all the wires, to no avail. Thank you for the help! 

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung QN75Q8CAM 4K QLED TV won’t properly recognize my Apple TV 4K

Our sincerest apologies for the frustration and inconvenience this has caused. I recommend reaching out to Apple TV Support concerning this.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Astronaut

The Apple TV didn't change, what could Apple TV Support possibly do to get the TV to recognize the same box it recognized two months ago?

Highlighted
Constellation

Did you ever find a solution here?  I've run into an identical situation.  In fact, we had trouble from the minute we installed tv and for some odd reason it began working.  2-3 months later...it won't find it.  What's really odd is that it will flicker the Apple TV for a minute then go back to the no signal screen...yet sometimes the sound of me clicking around on the menu will still come through only to stop doing that as well.  Frustrating.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Hey, thank you for replying. I have not found a solution, yet. I also haven't had much time to continue playing around. However, I also have an Xbox and an external Bose home theater hooked up. The Xbox has always been properly recognized, with no issues. The Bose Home Theater would usually give me the most issues, on a more consistent bases. The Home Theater will he plugging in, but many times the TV won't even recognize that it's plugged in. So usually I unplug and replug the entire home theater system, and the issue resolves itself. Unfortunately, this hasn't been the case for the Apple TV 4K. I have attempted to unplug/replug the Apple TV, multiple times, and haven't found a solution. This is the first time that I've experienced this issue. I am going to factory reset my Apple TV, to see if that resolves my issues. When I find a resolution, I'll let you know. Samsung, themselves, don't even know how to fix it. They just blame Apple (of course). 

Highlighted
Constellation

I seemed to have resolved this (for now). What seemed to help my situation was to unplug both the Frame TV and the SmartHub (for at least 10 miniutes). I also unplugged my Apple TV HDMI from the SmartHub. Then I plugged the SmartHub in first, the Frame TV after that, then connected the Apple TV HDMI to the SmartHub. It was still detected as DirectTV. I unplugged the Apple TV HDMI again and waited a few minutes, plugged it back in to the SmartHub. This time the Frame detected it as "Unknown Device" with a generic HDMI icon. When prompted to set it up manually I pressed the Home button on the Samsung remote. Then I edited the "Unknown" source and renamed it to "Apple TV". Once I hit OK the correct icon appeared.

Highlighted
Constellation

HELLO, I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUES EXCEPT I HAVE A 65 Q80 SERIES W/ NO HUB.  MY APPLE TV'S LOGO USE TO SHOW UP ON THE HDMI 1,  BUT ABOUT THREE DAYS AGO WHEN I PLAYED MY XBOX (WHICH I HAVE NO ISSUES ON MY HDMI 2 & IT SHOWS THE  XBOX LOGO) MY APPLE TV'S LOGO WENT AWAY AND SAID IT WAS NO RECOGNIZED, BUT IT WORKED FINE WHEN I SWITCHED TO IT TO WATCH TV.  I WILL TRY WHAT YOU DID AND RENAME IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.  I DON'T KNOW IF ITS JUST ME BUT I DONT LIKE THE HDMI 1 PICTURE SHOWING, I'D LIKE TO HAVE MY APPLE TV LOGO SHOW.

Highlighted
Constellation

I have the same problem. It just started happening today. I picked up a new credenza so had to disconnect and reconnect everything. My Samsung model QN55Q7FNA keeps setting my AppleTV to DirectTV and then shows whatever the DrectTV home page looks like (I"m guessing since I've never seen DirectTV). I've unhooked everything and it still makes the same mistake. Since this is the same AppleTV I've always had I find it really hard to believe this is an Apple problem.

I wish there was some low level, manual detection process I could run to force it to say that it's AppleTV. The autodetect clearly has problems.

Highlighted
Constellation

SOLVED! After restarting everything and going through Unviersal Remote, it overwrote the DirectTV configuration with AppleTV and it all works now.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thank you for the reply! Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "restarting everything and going through Universal Remove?" I would like to replicate what you did, and see if it works.