cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Samsung firmware 1294

A new firmware 1294 is available for the 2018 Qled tvs, does anyone knows what it does?

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Samsung firmware 1294

would like to know as well. 

Already  got it installed  though , but no info on whats inside anywhere  yet

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Welp, local dimming in game mode is still broken.... all hope for a fix is gone

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Yeah, saw there's a new update. That's why I'm here too, to see if anything actually fixed or just more stuff is broken / diminished.

the local dimming and brightness nerf in game mode a couple updates ago was / is a joke! Losing hope.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I don't think Samsung is even listening to anything anyone is saying. The picture is still dark and really bad =≥ "BANDING"!!! in dark scenes and dark colours, I have not used game mode yet but I feel you guys because I am adding Ps5 for the holiday 2020 and they are playing fast and loose with the updates, do they even want to fix these two issues?

What the fudge is happening with my money, I now have a cheap 🍋

Highlighted
Constellation

What system are you using because tonight w/ 1294.1 i just noticed something interesting with my Switch. UDH color is enabled for the HDMI port the Switch is connected to.

So with RGB set to limited, game mode looks terrible with major haloing around text or icons onscreen during a an black loading screen (for example, the dog when loading Luigi's Mansion).

With RGB set to full, the blacks are black and the haloing is essentialy gone during the same loading screens. It basically looks like local dimming is back on. There's almost a bit of black crush, but Switch defaults to Full RGB when i leave it in auto, so i don't think it's an error.

What system are you using and what RGB setting? 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I'm using xbox one x, while on your switch, go to YouTube and search for local dimming test, the tiniest little dot on screen brightens the entire screen, I think I read somewhere that said they took away local dimming on game mode to further improve input lag on game mode 

Highlighted
Asteroid

This has nothing to do with the UHD color setting. The STDP2550 chip in the Switch's dock handles the HDMI output and it's limited to HDMI 1.4 which is what you get with UHD color disabled (also called 'input signal plus' on their newer TVs).

The Switch (and possibly also the PS4) are outputting full RGB for some reason when you choose the 'auto' setting. The corresponding setting on the TV is called "HDMI black level" and should also be set to auto if that's what you have your Switch set to. If you manually set the switch to HDMI limited, you may have to change HDMI black level on the TV to 'normal' or everything will looked washed out. But if the switch is set to limited, the TV's normal and auto settings should look the same. The TV's 'low' setting would be incorrect in this case and cause the image to be washed out.

Regardless of the console favoring full when set to auto, RGB full is absolutely the wrong setting when connected to a TV. It doesn't matter if the TV can handle an RGB signal, practically every single one of them can. In the past it was reserved for 'PC mode' or the VGA input. RGB full is for computer monitors. They gave them a confusing name and many people noticed back with the PS3 that RGB full made their colors darker which they said looked less washed out. But this will crush your blacks. Anything below a certain black level will instantly be the same darkest black color.

TV's work in the ycbcr color space which corresponds to 16-235 rather than 0-255. RGB limited is 16-235. White is set to 16 and black is set to 235 or 240. In ycbcr, 0-16 and 240-255 are considered whiter than white and blacker than black. Both RGB full and limited look identical to each other when they match on each side and again limited is the proper setting for a TV. If you set one input device for full and match it on the TV, for most TVs it will apply it to other inputs and ruin the image elsewhere. RGB Full is bad advice, wrong on a TV, and should be used only with monitors or connecting a computer to your TV. I don't know why Switch and PS4 default to this on auto but it's one of the reasons people complain about the Switch being cloudy and washed out docked on a TV versus portable. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

You can fix the local dimming yourself: https://youtu.be/ov9niiau5x4

use INFO>SETTINGS>MUTE>POWER while tv is off to access the service menu. You will need a old samsung remote or use the samsung remote app on your phone. This fixes the very annoying dimming issue all samsung tv's seem to have!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I know about this already, I don't want to disable local dimming either, on game mode local dimming is off and it doesn't matter what level of local dimming you use, its not on, I want local dimming to behave the way it does in natural & dynamic picture mode, outside of game mode the local dimming rivals oled black levels, in game mode the blooming, dimmer picture is trash.