Original topic:

Sleeping Apple TV 4K turns my Samsung TV on.

(Topic created: 07-19-2021 08:05 PM)
McKodiak
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

After I received and set up my new Apple TV 4K, I shortly noticed that my Samsung TV would not stay off. After trying several things, I realized the Apple TV was involved.

I tried different HDMI cables.

I tried different HDMI ports on the TV.

When the Apple TV is not connected to the TV or the Apple TV is not plugged in, the issue goes away. The TV stays off.

I turned the HDMI-CEC functionality off on the TV and that too resolves the issue. However, HDMI-CEC needs to be enabled for my soundbar to work over HDMI-ARC.

In short, my sleeping Apple TV 4K is turning my Samsung TV on shortly after I turn the TV off, every time. I brought my Apple TV to Apple. They tested on other brands but this issue didn’t present itself.

Others on other threads are experiencing this as well. Samsung needs to push an update to handle the Apple TV correctly over HDMI-CEC. 

0 Likes
10 Replies
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
Qled and Frame
Can you turn off the HDMI-CEC function on the Apple TV instead of the Samsung TV?
0 Likes
McKodiak
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I forgot to mention that.

With CEC turned on, on the Apple TV, when I put the Apple TV to sleep, my TV turns off and then, seconds later, turns on.

With CEC turned off, on the Apple TV, when I put the Apple TV to sleep, my TV stays on. I turn the TV off with the Samsung remote and seconds later the TV turns back on.

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Qled and Frame

I get how bothersome that this may be.  By any chance are there any other set top boxes connected to the television?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
McKodiak
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Yes.

I have a Verizon FiOS STB connected via another HDMI port.

I also have a Bose Soundbar 700 connected to the HDMI-ARC port.

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Qled and Frame

Could you please provide the model number and software version on the television?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
McKodiak
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Model Number: QN82Q70RAFXZAPD

Software Version: T-MSMAKUC-1385.0

0 Likes
SamsungLarry
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Qled and Frame

Are there any settings on the Apple TV itself that may be like the CEC setting on the tv?

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
McKodiak
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

There is a "Control TVs and Receivers" option in the Apple TV settings.

When the setting is enabled, putting the Apple TV to sleep, the TV will turn off. Seconds later, the TV turns back on.

When the setting is disabled, putting the Apple TV to sleep, the TV will remain on. I turn off the TV and seconds later the TV will turn on.

0 Likes
SamsungLarry
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Qled and Frame

If this is the only device that this is occurring with, I recommend reaching out to Apple regarding this.

0 Likes