cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vendrell
Cosmic Ray

[Solution] How to fix local dimming with subtitles

Hello guys,

First of all, I did not find this alone. I would like to thanks my mate GWO on this forum for the advices (and you should thanks him too). I got a Q6FN 2018 model, I don't know if it works on other models. If so, let us know.

Then, I'm french, so sorry for english mistakes.

Well, lot of you are complaining about local dimming with subtitles. Here is how to fix it for SDR and HDR and without touching any service menu or other stuff that could damage your tv.

Install the 1251 firmware before to make your settings

For SDR content (1080p, 720p, less...).

Home > Cinema Mode > Parameters 

- HDR+ : On

- Local dimming : Low

- Color Space : Auto

All the other settings are about your own tastes. The 3 things to absolutely change are the previous ones.

For HDR content (4k ultra HD).

Home > Cinema Mode > Parameters 

- Local dimming : Low

- Color Space : Auto

All the other settings are about your own tastes. The 2 things to absolutely change are the previous ones.

With this, no more dimming with subtitles.

Hope I helped some of you, and thanks again to my friend GWO for those tips !

Here are my personal settings, I like deep blacks and pure whites (without burning) and colorfull picture :

- Backlight : 50

- Brightness : -2

- Contrast : 50

- Clearness : 10

- Color : 40

- Sharpness : 0

- Digital Clear View : Auto

- Auto Motion Plus : Auto

- Local Dimming : Low

- Contrast Enhancer : High

- Color shade : Standard

- Gamma : ST.2084

- RGB only : Off

- Color Space : Auto

That's my tastes, I love the depth of the picture and the natural colors just boost to make it a bit flashy. Do not hesitate to make yours only with the 2/3 settings previously mentioned to not be disturbed by the brightness changes when subtitles appear.

13 REPLIES 13
userykUUue5Md8
Constellation

Re: [Solution] How to fix local dimming with subtitles

How do these settings differ from the "default" settings, and how does that impact the overall picture quality and performance?

I'm considering buying a NU8000 TV for its great performance (as per review sites), but since I'm always using subtitles, this whole problem scares me *a lot*.  Note that I could buy NU7100 or RU7100 for much cheaper (no local dimming -- so no subtitles problems?), but apparently not as great picture -- based on review sites.

So I'm affraid that these settings you found may bring the performance back to the equivalent of their lower-end models, i.e. RU7100 or NU7100.  Please let me know what your think.

Vendrell
Cosmic Ray

I don't know if it works for Nu and Ru models.

With those settings, you won't see the difference with Local Dimming On or Off.  You will keep the depth of the blacks and colorfull pictures.

It seems that 2019 models don't have those dimming problems but it's not the same price...

useroAy5u1HMEd
Asteroid

The latest firmware 1260 broke this again, local dimming is out of control!

It was oke in 1251 and even a bit better in 1258, but in 1260 it is complete madness again.

But Samsung does not allow its paying users to downgrade again to 1258.

Fix thix, 1260 is clearly broken!

Vendrell
Cosmic Ray

Thanks for letting us know. I won't make any update until someone tell it's fixed.

Highlighted
userVbRBP2vvLG
Cosmic Ray

That's strange, I think on my 55"Q6FN the issue has been totally resolved with 1260.

useroAy5u1HMEd
Asteroid

Well, just create a set of favorites, choose them. Turn off the TV and on the next day. Are you back in your favorites? Nope!

And watch Ozark on Netflix, turn on sunbtitkes, then you see what we mean...

Vendrell
Cosmic Ray

You have problem with local dimming and subs even with the settings I made on the first post ?

I did not make the last update, just to know if I do it or not...

Tygeezy
Cosmic Ray

Can anybody confirm that the solution still works with the newest firmware?

Tygeezy
Cosmic Ray

Either someone in my house updated the tv or it updated without my consent. So I’m now on 1260 and can confirm the solution still works, but they still haven’t fixed game mode.

if you aren’t using hdr + and local dimming set to low you will still get increased screen brightness with hdr content, so he sure you have both of those settings correct or it will not work. I personally use movie picture mode, but people say standard works. I haven’t tried dynamic, but I’d recommend only using movie or standard picture mode.