JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

TV Turns Off and Won't Fully Turn Back On

(Topic created: 09-03-2021 10:25 AM)
amberssleepy
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I bought my Samsung QN75Q7FNA with the One Connect Box in December of 2018 new from Best Buy. I have noticed that when I have the tv on from longer than 4 or 5 hours it will start to constantly flicker. I have tried turning it off and back on, unplugging it for 5 to 10 minutes and turning it back on, checked the settings that were suggested in the troubleshoot section of the manual. It is still flickering. But, I have noticed that it only does it when I am watching tv either from a program on the tv, or from my Google Chromecast and Amazon Firestick. I don't have cable or satellite.  When I play Xbox for longer than 4 or 5 hours my tv will randomly reboot itself once or twice. Then after about 10 minutes of it being back on it will turn off and I can't get it to turn back on. When I try to turn it back on it will show the Samsung name screen like it's about to reboot itself, but then shuts off and I can't get it to turn back on. I will usually just leave it alone until the next day then everything works fine until I have shows or movies playing for 4 or 5 hours or if I have my Xbox playing for 4 or 5 hours. 

Does anyone have any idea of what is going on with my tv? I paid a little over $3k for this tv and it is out of warranty which is ridiculous. Samsung should give you a longer warranty for bigger priced items.

7 Replies
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
Did you feel the back? Is it overheating? Sounds like after a certain amount of time it's getting too hot and turning off. Regardless, since it's out of warranty the cost to repair or replace it will be on you. Repair would likely cost nearly as much as a new TV. I do agree that a multi thousand dollar item should have more than a one year warranty.
0 Likes
amberssleepy
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I've wondered about that. Do you think that the tv or the one connect box is over heating? Lately, I have had a fan pointed towards the tv and one connect box and they haven't been warm to the touch, but I wonder if it's possible that they are still warm inside? I live in Ohio and now that I think about it I don't remember having these issues in the winter.

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
Leave the fan off and as soon as the TV turns off I'd get up and feel the back before it has a chance to cool down to see what's overheating, if anything. If something is overheating it could be a danger to use so be careful continuing to use it. Something could short out inside. I'd probably unplug it when not in use rather than just turning it off.
0 Likes
amberssleepy
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

But, it still has the issues with the fan on it. I dont know how hot these things are allowed to get but the one connect box does get pretty warm. I can't feel the back of the tv because it is mounted to the wall.

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
That might be the problem. I've seen many people have problems with heat with their TV's on the wall because there's no airflow.

Then again it looks like heat can be an issue with the one connect box. People are saying to elevate it so air gets under it. One person bought a 4" fan with an HDMI plug and plugged it into the box so it turns on and off with everything else.

You need to try the TV with the box disconnected. Use a Blu ray player, or IPTV, or movies on a thumb drive. Anything that doesn't use the box to see if the TV still turns off or not. That will tell you if it's the TV or the box.
0 Likes
Solution
Adaboy
Supernova
Options
QLED and The Frame
Sounds like overheating. Do you have good ventilation around the connect box. A small fan blowing directly on the vent constantly may help.
0 Likes
amberssleepy
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hello Everyone!

I know it has been awhile since I made my original post but I wanted to update you all. I am pretty certain that the issue I was having was in fact overheating. I have a metal stand that I put my One Connect Box (OCB) on. I originally got the stand on Amazon for my laptop. In the flat position it elevates my OCB almost 1 full inch off the surface that it sits on. I also have this small USB powered desk fan plugged in to the back of the OCB and it constantly runs when I am using the OCB. I placed it behind the back right corner of the OCB, facing the small holes on the back side. So far, I haven't had any of the issues I mentioned in my original post. I have had my OCB running all day watching Hulu and playing Xbox and haven't had the flickering or unexpected shut downs. I want to thank you all for your help! I was nervous that my issues was more complicated and more pricey  than what it was. I am now looking for a more permanent and aesthetically pleasing solution lol. I have considered getting a nice laptop cooler and having it run constantly when the OCB is running. It is hard to find one that sits flat and is at least 15 inches long; which is how long my OCB is. I saw that Cooler Master has a few things that could possibly work, but I am not sure. I've thought about contacting them with my issue to see if they would be willing to come up with something and marketing it to other customers who are in my position. I am totally open to suggestions if anyone has any! Thanks again everyone.

0 Likes