cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Tested: FrameTV usable resolutions for full matte options

I bought a 2020 FrameTV 43" to display my photographs. I was very disappointed to see a lack of some simple functions, such as randomly shuffling a slideshow. Come on Samsung, that's a 1990's-era feature!

That said, most of the photos I copied to the TV via USB did not allow for anything but the Shadow Box frame. I found a bunch of posts with anecdotal answers from other equally-frustrated customers, going back years, so clearly Samsung isn't listening to the customer base on how to make this "art TV" a true work of art.

I did some math and tested possible resolutions to see what the formula is for allowing a photo to select various mattes. All photos can use the Shadow Box matte, but some can use other mattes as well, if you meet these conditions:

1. The photo must be 16:9 ratio, precisely. For example, a standard 4K resolution (3840x2160) works perfectly; But 3840x2161 does not.
    To verify, divide the long dimension by 16, and the short dimension by 9. You should get the same result for both calculations. If either number gives a result with a number after the decimal point (i.e. 239.98) then it will not work with the other mattes.
    Using the 4K example above, 3840 / 16 = 240, and 2160 / 9 = 240. This will work.
    Using the other example, 3840 / 16 = 240, but 2161 / 9 = 240.1111. This will not work.
  2. The photo must be a landscape. 
  3. The long dimensions (the image width) must be at least 3,472 pixels (3,472px x 1,953px).
  4. Larger sizes work fine as long as you have increased the dimensions by a multiple of 16px on the long side, and by 9pm on the short side. For example, 3488x1926 works, as does 3504x1971, 3520x1980, 3536x1989, etc.
  5. I've had some .PNG files not display properly; I haven't had an issue with .JPG, so I converted them and they are fine now.

I'm not sure why a company like Samsung can't simply document something like this, which took me about an hour to work out. I'm nto really surprised, as the documentation for this TV is terrible-to-nonexistent, especially for the "art" related features that this TV is supposed to uniquely offer. ANd since these have been shipping for 3 or 4 years without even basic functionality like shuffle being added, I don't expect much out of Samsung anymore. The picture quality is great, but the fact that I now have to re-edit any of my photos that I want to display is ludicrously silly and not very customer-focused. I hope Samsung will finally listen to their customers and release an update so we can use the FrameTV to its full advantage.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Tested: FrameTV usable resolutions for full matte options

Ok, I have a QN55LS03RAFXZC Frame TV

I am very frustrated as the "Samsung" representative at Bestbuy implied that I could display my personal pictures. This experience has been an experience in total frustration. Samsung suport gets a solid 1 out of 10 stars.

• Scenario 1
    • I select Art Mode from the Samsung Remote
    • I select Contemporary Art from the Samsung Collection
    • I select a piece of Art
    • I click UP to get Details Mat Favorites
    • I select Mat
    • I the get choices of "No Mat", "Modern Mat" or Shadowbox Mat"
    • I like Modern Mat so all is good
  • Scenario 2
    • I select Art Mode from the Samsung Remote
    • I select My Collection from My Photos
    • I select a piece of Art
    • I click UP to get Details Mat Favorites
    • I select Mat
    • I the get choice of Shadowbox Mat"
    • The choices of "No Mat"or "Modern Mat" are gone 
    • I like Modern Mat so this is not good, why cannot not have the other Mat's if they are already programmed into the tv
  • Scenario 3
    •  
    • I select Art Mode from the Samsung SmartThings App,it only works when the TV is also in Art Mode, not described clearly...Smiley Sad
    • I select "ADD YOUR PHOTOS +"
    • I select a photo and press "Create Mount"
    • I the get choice of Shadowbox Mount", "Panoramic Mount" or "Triptch Mount"
    • The choices of "No Mat"or "Modern Mat" are gone 
    • I like Modern Mat so this is not good, why cannot not have the other Mat's if they are already programmed into the tv
Very frustrating that nothing is the same in any of the options

I have professional photos that I would never keep on my phone and I would like to have my choice of Mats/Mounts

This is NOT what the Samsung Representative implied that I would be getting.

Am I missing something or is this just going to be an expensive disappointment?

Saem comment as above, it would be nice if the listened to the customers

Highlighted
Asteroid

Scenario 1 is good, so I won't comment there.

Scenario 2 is bad, but I understand the reason. The TV screen has a specific resolution (4K = 3840x2160). The non-Shadowbox frames are "static"; in other words, they do not change based on the photo. They are a specific number of pixels wide, always, at all times, and the TV layers those static frames over top of your image. This means the images have to be certain minimum sizes to fill the entire opening in the middle. If you use the guidelines in my original post, and upload the images via USB stick to the TV, you can usually find something that sorta works with your image.

Scenario 3 is an entirely different process. Here, I believe the SmartThings app takes the photo you select and the matte that you pick for it and merges them together into one sinlge image file, which it then uploads to the TV. This provides some additional flexibilty, but also explains why the frames aren't identical between Scenarios 2 & 3. I agree that it's a shame they aren't consistent, but it makes (a tiny bit of) sense when you look at how the images are made.

None of it changes the fact that the product is incredibly frustrating, and lacking a number of features that are basic features for every other "slideshow" type program or device.

I hope my explanation makes sense?

Highlighted
Asteroid

I have the 2020 frame 32 inch and can not get my uploaded pictures to display with no matte. I've tried resize to 3840x2170 but it is still not working. Has anyone been able to successfully upload there own photos without the matte?

@Mick_STP wrote:

Scenario 1 is good, so I won't comment there.

Scenario 2 is bad, but I understand the reason. The TV screen has a specific resolution (4K = 3840x2160). The non-Shadowbox frames are "static"; in other words, they do not change based on the photo. They are a specific number of pixels wide, always, at all times, and the TV layers those static frames over top of your image. This means the images have to be certain minimum sizes to fill the entire opening in the middle. If you use the guidelines in my original post, and upload the images via USB stick to the TV, you can usually find something that sorta works with your image.

Scenario 3 is an entirely different process. Here, I believe the SmartThings app takes the photo you select and the matte that you pick for it and merges them together into one sinlge image file, which it then uploads to the TV. This provides some additional flexibilty, but also explains why the frames aren't identical between Scenarios 2 & 3. I agree that it's a shame they aren't consistent, but it makes (a tiny bit of) sense when you look at how the images are made.

None of it changes the fact that the product is incredibly frustrating, and lacking a number of features that are basic features for every other "slideshow" type program or device.

I hope my explanation makes sense?

Highlighted
Halo

@usergCap2qhfiT wrote:

I have the 2020 frame 32 inch and can not get my uploaded pictures to display with no matte. I've tried resize to 3840x2170 but it is still not working. Has anyone been able to successfully upload there own photos without the matte?

Your TV's resolution is only 1920x1080, not 4K, so try pictures that size. 

If you want to try a 4K image (which may not work on your TV), use 3840 x 2160 because 3840=1920 x 2, and 2160=1080 x 2.  

Highlighted
Astronaut

I just purchased a 2020 55" Frame. Uploading my own photos, and having all matte options available has been frustrating.  I use lightroom on my PC, and selected 15 photos to export.  I cropped each image to 16:9 aspect ratio, and then exported the images from lightroom specifying a resize to 3840x2160. I then put the exported images on a USB drive.  After uploading, 13 of the 15 images work with all matte options available.  The two remaining only have the shadow box option.  I can't for the life of me figure out what the Frame TV doesn't like about those two images even though they were exported at the same time with the same exact settings as the others.  This TV is beyond frustrating.  That and the motion and light detection doesn't work at all, but that is separate super frustrating problem.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Have you figured this out yet?  I've been experimenting with many different sizes, and even when the resolution is exactly 3840x2160 there are some pictures that won't display with Mattes.  The options for various Mattes are there, but if I use one the TV displays a blank/black image inside the Matte.  When I remove the Matte it displays the whole image.

I've been looking at picture metadata to see if there's a difference between two but haven't found a real reason why one accepts Mattes and another doesn't.  If Mick_STP has figured this out would be grateful to know why.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Sorry, I can't help you with this one, I haven't had that problem. Good luck!

Personally I'm working on a solution to use a tiny Raspberry Pi with HDMI out to run my own slideshow. Then I can use images of any type I want, but I'll need to add mattes and frames on my own first. Samsung's software is terrible, so I'm just going to use the hardware.