cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userYMK4qNYDpX
Asteroid

The Frame Smart View app connection problems

Just bought a 2018 55" Samsung "the Frame." Have downloaded the Smart View app so that I can upload my own photos to display using Art Mode and it won't connect to my TV. The TV is connected via Wifi to my 2.4Ghz wifi network, as is my mobile phone with the app. I have power cycled everything. Software on the tv is version 1131 and up to date, TV model is UN55LS03N. I'm running Android 9.0 on my Pixel. I also downloaded the windows 10 app and tried that way - does not work either. Currently Ipv6 settings are off. I had turned them on and turned on the Ipv6 settings on my router. Does not work. I tried connecting to the 5G network. Does not work. I tried hardwiring the connection. Does not work. Under External Device Manager, my phone is listed under Device List as "allowed" and allowed services include Smart View. Access notifications are on but I'm not getting any notifications. I can stream Netflix so the tv is connected to the internet without problems. 

I have seen some comments from support that 2017 and 2018 models are not supported, but I don't buy that. The "my photos" options under Art Mode directs the user to the Smart View app specifically. That would be a pretty big oversight. I also see comments from people who can use the the app to upload photos, so it works somehow. I need answers on how to fix this. This is too much money to spend on a premium TV to have on of it's primary features be non functional.

29 REPLIES 29
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: The Frame Smart View app connection problems

Are you getting any error messages while connecting? Have you tried a factory reset of the television?

userYMK4qNYDpX
Asteroid

I selected the option to set up the TV again and went through all the set up screens. Is that considered a factory reset? 

On both the mobile app and desktop app it almost immediately says no TV found, as if it's not even able to try to connect?  There a setting somewhere that's incorrect.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Are they connected to the same network within the home? Do you have a dual band router? 

userYMK4qNYDpX
Asteroid

Yes they are connected to the same network. 

userSqW1bTROjy
Asteroid

It is a design defect.  I tried everything they recommended for 4 days.  Then they recommended having a technician sent out at what may be my expense if he could find nothing wrong.  Clever way of not having to admit a design and software flaw.

userltcxMGTSsJ
Constellation

Same issue. It is a Samsung defect and they will send you in circles with suggestions insteaad of admitting issue. Fix it, Samsung!
userSqW1bTROjy
Asteroid

Do not factory reset, it does nothing.

userb4iTudqESz
Cosmic Ray

Don’t hold your breath.  There is a comparable problem with Ambient Mode on QLED’s that Samsung admits exists (and apparently has existed for some time), and the best we can get out Customer Support is “yeah, it doesn’t actually work with anything other that the crappy stock images that came with the TV.  Sorry for the inconvenience.”  

From my experience, Samsung is perfectly capable of misrepresenting the features of its high end TV’s. 

userYaSNDE4XVI
Constellation

I too just installed The Frame 2018 55" model today and have been trying to get the smartview app to connect. I have another Samsung TV in the house (7 Series) that connects just fine with the smartview app via IOS and Android. Oddly, if I install the Samsung 'Smart Things' App, the Android (S8) can find both Tv's but gives an error message under the Frame Tv saying, 'Server Error'. The Smart Things app on the iPhone X does not find either TV.

The Frame TV is up to date as is both the S8 and iPhone X. All the apps are up to date and the TV is brand new. Like I mentioned, the 7 series Samsung TV in the other room works fine.