cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Turn on home theatre using Samsung Q80R

Is there any way to turn on a receiver (Denon S750H) via a Samsung TV (a Q80R, in this case)?  I have HDMI-CDC (Anynet+) set up, so turning off the TV turns off the receiver, and the Samsung remote will adust the receiver's volume.  When I turn on the TV, however, the receiver does not turn on.  I can get it to turn on if I go to "Sources", select the Denon, click "up", then select AnyNet+, but it's a lot easier to just push a button the Denon remote!  It would be nice if there were a simpler way to turn everything on.

39 REPLIES 39
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Turn on home theatre using Samsung Q80R

Have you checked the receiver settings to see if there is an option to allow being turned on from standby?

Highlighted
Asteroid

Yes- the HDMI-CEC settings are all enabled.  However, the "on" command has to come from the TV, since I want to stream using the TV's apps.  I suspect that this is just an annoying feature of Samsung TVs, but figured I'd checkto see if anybody has come up with a clever solution or workaround.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Unfortunately we cannot guarantee compatibility with third party devices.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Understood, but in this case, compatibility doesn't seem to be a problem- the Samsung can control the Denon when it's on.  I think this is a bug, or at least a design choice, with the TV- it's not sending the "on" command.  At the very least, there should be an icon on the home screen to turn the receiver on.

Highlighted
Constellation

Okay, "Gill", First off: CEC is a standard.  STAN-DARD.  Like, if Samsung followed the STANDARD then maybe this wouldn't be a problem. 

If Samsung does not want to conform to the STANDARD, then maybe they should remove "HDMI-CEC" from their marketing materials, as listed on this page: https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-4k-tvs/65-class-q90r-qled-smart-4k-uhd-...

So are we clear now that Samsung says they conform to the CEC Standard?

I've been dealing with the same issue with a new Q90R.  Our decade old Panasonic controlled the power of our receiver just fine.

The internet is full of people trying to get Samsung CEC to work, and some people have luck, other people don't,  and nobody can tell why.  

How about Samsung support stops trying to deflect problems with its products?

Highlighted
Constellation

Sorry for the angry tone, but: 

1) unhelpful customer service 

2) longstanding industry baloney

= double triggered

Highlighted
Asteroid

It seems like they are compatible with HDMI-CEC, since once the receiver is on, the Samsung can control the volume and turn the unit off.  Control over the Roku is perfectly fine as well.  My guess is that there was a deliberate decision by Samsung to not turn on the receiver when you turn on the TV, so that it could better work with Bixby in an "always on" manner- you wouldn't want to wait for the receiver to turn on before getting back a voice search result.

Two problems with this:  First, why can't Samsung state this explicitly?  Second, why can't Samsung add a simple control to the Home screen which allows the receiver to be turned on? 

Seems like an easily fixable oversight, but lack of good customer service support is very annoying.

Highlighted
Constellation

Same problem here, my old TV - UE65KS8000 handled my Denon without issued unfortunately it died so I have "upgraded" to QE65Q70. Now while I can control my amp with my TV remote and it goes to sleep when I turn the TV, it does not wake up when TV goes on. All enabled and connected as it just does not work. Good to know I am not the only person having this issue...

Highlighted
Constellation

I completely agree with this post. HDMI-CEC is an industry standard protocol but Samsung's software implementation is terrible. I too have the same issue. It's not only denon receivers but yamaha receivers as well. I have a sony TV that I replaced with a Samsung TV and my 1080p Sony works fine. I can turn on the TV and my yamaha receiver will automatically turn on as well. Sometimes the Samsung TV doesn't switch to the correct HDMI port like a blu-ray player when you turn it on,  I have to manually go to the receiver and select the input source which practically defeats the purpose of HDMI-CEC. It's just not making sense!! I hope Samsung will issue a software fix to all these issues. I tried all the troubleshooting I can imagine but nothing works. Just wondering if all Samsung TV's are CEC certified maybe not.