cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Knaub
Galaxy

USB Ethernet adapter

Has anyone tried a usb to Ethernet adapter? The wired connection speed isn't fast enough to watch most 4K HDR, WiFi works ok as long as bitrate is in the low hundreds, but I'm curious to try a wired USB adapter.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: USB Ethernet adapter

Hmmm your Ethernet (wired) connection is a GbE and should be way more than even 4K HDR needs?

I've not tried a USB adapter but would expect that even if it did work (I think the USB ports expect to see, thus have drivers for, storage devices only) it would be slower than either GbE or WiFi options. If you try it by all means post-back here.

Highlighted
Knaub
Galaxy

Actually the wired port is 10/100. Plenty of info on this forum to support that, and the max throughput I am ever able to achieve over wired is about 65Mb/s. This is with all cat6 cabling. WiFi I am able to achieve about 250Mb/s, and this is usually fast enough for all my 4K content. I saw a post elsewhere about someone trying the adapters on a different brand tv and had success which is why I was curious to give it a shot. USB 2.0 has a theoretical speed of 480Mb/s so that should be a nice boost in speed, and improved reliability over WiFi.

At any rate, I ordered two different types and they should arrive this afternoon, I will reply with my findings! Not much hope for these to work in all honesty, but at $10 each, and with Amazon's great return policy, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Knaub
Galaxy

Unfortunately they do not work. They get a link light, and show activity, but there's no way to tell the tv to use it for the network connection. Oh well, at least I know now.

Thanks for reporting-back, too bad it didn't work...

:-(