JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Xbox Series X Q70A VRR Flicker

(Topic created: 05-17-2021 06:36 PM)
userw1O8bt3aL1
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Not sure if anyone else if having this issue but I have my Xbox Series X attached to the HDMI 2.1 port with 4k120hz HDR, ALLM, and VRR (FreeSync Premium showing on game bar) enabled. Whenever I run games like Destiny 2 or Assassin's Creed Valhalla, I noticed that in the opening scene for those games, my screen gets a really nasty flicker. It hurts my eyes whenever the flicker starts because it gets really bright and sometimes noticed it in Youtube (on the console) whenever I watch HDR content

14 Replies
userw1O8bt3aL1
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Sometimes I see a slight flicker in Fifa21 like in the stands or lights. I originally had the 55 inch Q70A but returned it and got the 65 inch Q70A. While at first boot, the TV had 0 issues but after the 1066 update, I noticed the flicker returned and wish I had the opportunity to turn back the update since I had no issues then. Weird that it only happens in certain games but regardless I also notice these slight horizontal lines going up when activating VRR on my Xbox and I see it clearly in the main menu of the console. I made sure to troubleshoot everything possible but the only fix I found so far was unplugging the TV for 10 seconds then plugging it back in (the power cable) and it seemed to fix the issue for some reason. Unfortunate that it has these problems but I'm totally fine tu

0 Likes
userw1O8bt3aL1
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

I just tested more games and so far the worst flicker was in the middle of actual games like the ODST campaign on Halo MCC or some slight flickering in the background of Cyberpunk during cutscenes. I have tried contacting support before but no one has brought a proper reply or solution to this issue I've been having with the 2 Q70A's I had. For now, I'm playing with VRR off and hoping to see the next TV update fixes it or if my TV just didn't support FreeSync Premium Pro as advertised it is. 

0 Likes
userkFLli2Zbvk
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I am having the same issue with the flickering and the Samsung q70a. The flickering occurs on the Xbox Series X mostly during cutscenes, transitions from menu screens, and when the screen fades to black. I have tried a new HDMI cable and numerous combinations of video settings. I believe the only fix currently is turning off the VRR setting on the Xbox Series X. It seems to be a software issue that I hope is quickly fixed. Let me know of any other potential workarounds. 

userw1O8bt3aL1
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame
I recently sent my Xbox for repair just in case it's that. I'll let you know if that was the issue. I got off of messaging support on Twitter a week ago and they told me no one else is having this issue really so I talked with Xbox support to see if it is a repair that needs to be made.
0 Likes
userw1O8bt3aL1
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Okay so I just received my "repaired Xbox" and the issue is still there so I am 100% on the issue being on Samsung's part. I went through 2 Q70A TV's running the 1066 update and it's the same problem which is the flickering during cutscenes and when it fades to black. Very frustrating issue but I guess I'll leave VRR off till a new update is out. 

0 Likes
userw1O8bt3aL1
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

only work around at the moment is cold rebooting the TV by holding down the power button for 5 seconds but you have to do this every time you turn on the TV to play. It works but I'm not going to leave VRR on and reboot everytime just to make it work. I'll wait to see if there's an update to this issue probably. 

0 Likes
userJ225aFlGRE
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Got the tv today and had the same problem. It was minor at first, only happening when I went in to and closed menus. Then it started happening more often between scene changes. Hopefully an update fixes it. 

0 Likes
userw1O8bt3aL1
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

I just finished going over with support and it seems like there's two solutions:
1. With the Remote: Try and hold down the Power button on the Samsung TV remote until the TV turns off and on again. This should only take 5 seconds. This is the method I used and it reverted me back to a previous update and now when I have VRR enabled on my Xbox Series X. I open the Samsung menu and it shows that both HDR AND VRR are enabled for my console when playing games and the flicker is mostly gone. Not 100% gone but it's WAY better than what it was during cutscenes and black screens.

2. With the Plug: Unplug your TV from the wall outlet or surge protector, leave it unplugged for 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

I used 1st method then 2nd method and it worked for me. I no longer get the flicker and when it asks for the update, I went with it but maintained the 1506 (I think that's the number) update instead of 1066. With 1066, I noticed the flicker. 

The reason for the flicker may be a software glitch or bug in the TV and doing the cold reboot helps refresh the TV system while fixing this type of problem.

Note (after edit): Tried turning on my TV again and the issues resumed so this is only a temporary solution. Just noticed that a new update came out today as well under 1506 and it now shows HDR/VRR both enabled at the same time.

If anyone knows other alternatives to solve this flickering issue on the Series X, please post because any little bit of information helps.

0 Likes
NathanSR
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have the same problem during loading screens and cut scenes of Assassins Creed Origins. I'm using an Xbox one. 

0 Likes