cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tamanaco
Halo

eARC support for Q80R with future firmware update????

As I was browsing the reviews in the Samsung Q90R QLED products page  I came accross a reponse post from a couple wees ago from a "Samsung Ambassador" that says that the Q90R will get eARC support with a future firmware update. Can someone from Samsung confirm if this post (which I'm adding below) is legit and if so, can you also tell us if this eARC firmware update will be also made available for Q80R QLED TVs.  Furthermore, if the post is legit, will this update also bring HDMI 2.1 support. (Fingers Crossed).

9 REPLIES 9
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: eARC support for Q80R with future firmware update????

We're unable to speculate on any future updates.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userAUhr1bwbrb
Astronaut

Well us bottom feeders with Q70’s don’t have a chance.

userFwU3LaaYhS
Asteroid

I came across the below :

Samsung will not include eARC support on any of the HDMI in/out connections in its 2019 television line. According to Samsung spokesman Scott *****, eARC is not being supported in the company’s 2019 TVs because: “We are moving to a streaming world and the streaming sites are adding Dolby Atmos–which is a key reason you’d want eARC–through [the lossy] Dolby Digital Plus [format]. So we really feel we can support our customers now” with standard HDMI-ARC.

*****  continued: “For those who are in a Samsung-only ecosystem with a Samsung Dolby Atmos Sound Bar, where Dolby Atmos would be important, we do offer HDMI pass-throughs on all of those bars to compensate for that.”

I think the ultimate Samsung TV will :

eARC

Netflix Atmos

Dolby Vision

I suspect next year will be 2 of 3 of those - but if not, I think the LG OLED does all. I'd hate to move away from the brand thuogh - it's been over 10+ years with a number of Series 7 TV's in that time. More importantly, their support in South Africa has been absolutely top notch for me.

usernM7ZrSMwOn
Constellation

Samsung claiming that the world will be digital is pure B.S. When that happens I, as many others, will walk away from the content and boycott it. If physical media can not coexist then the content will die. Back on topic, I am in the market to buy the Q80R but will not go near Samsung unless they fix the eARC issue. Perhaps Samsung does not understand the reality of what eARC is. For gaming, you must connect your PC or console to your AVR to experience 11 channel Dolby Atmos or DTS:X. Without eARC, gamers buying the Samsungs for their "gaming" features are litteraly shafted into choosing either their high end multichannel surround system or variable refresh rates and resolutions. Why must Samsung put this burdon on consumers? Either the TV supports these features all together or don't bother at all because many can not take advante of them anyways. No one buys an overpriced TV with exclusive gaming features just to stream Netflix, come on are you for real? I will choose my discrete Atmos gaming surround over VRR and will choose a lesser priced TV from someone else. Get with it Samsung. We appreciate your dilligence in pushing Freesync and multiple resolutions but it does zero good when you can't even pass the 3D audio formats back to the consumers audio system. That restriction is a joke, seriously.

rickstervt1
Astronaut

It's completely ridiculous that I have a $5000 8k tv and a $1000 soundbar and I can't use dolby without having a huge audio lag using ARC.  The only way to use surround sound is to plug the Xbox One X directly into the soundbar and then I lose my HDMI 2.1 port and VVR and auto low latency mode.  I'm not a happy customer.

Highlighted
Knaub
Galaxy

Yes to the two comments above! These are my exact frustrations. To buy a flagship TV for multiple thousands of dollars and realize it’s shortcomings is terrible. 

userJ0P1WZltdN
Constellation

Yes yes yes to the above, seriously Samsung WE are talking to you why wont you embrace eARC. I loved my Q6fn Qled until I found out it just wont play nice with atmos/vision. I get it HDR10+ is the "competing" format lol. To have to choose between 11.2 immersive audio or Freesync and the other gaming features I bought my TV for is a joke. I have a TV that supports ALLM, VRR and Freesync, a reciever that supports 7.2.4 dolby atmos and eARC and an Xbox One X this should be a perfect setup but this refusal to get with the times on audio period my tv dosent go past DD+. So because of this as I get ready to shop for a new TV for the Xbox Scarlett and Playstation 5 unless something changes you can be sure you have lost me and many many others to the rival OLED.

bigbearvo
Constellation

On 9/4 Samsung tech support gave the following info:

Samsung:  "As of now, there are no updates available to make the E-ARC available on your model TV."

Me:  "Will this be included in a future update?"

"Yes, it will be included in future updates."

I got the following response on 9/7/19:

"e-ARC is not included on Samsung TV's as of now. Our team is working on it to add e-ARC on Samsung Tv's."

ERoach
Constellation

@bigbearvo wrote:

On 9/4 Samsung tech support gave the following info:

Samsung:  "As of now, there are no updates available to make the E-ARC available on your model TV."

Me:  "Will this be included in a future update?"

"Yes, it will be included in future updates."

I got the following response on 9/7/19:

"e-ARC is not included on Samsung TV's as of now. Our team is working on it to add e-ARC on Samsung Tv's."

I got the same info from the Samsung chat before purchasing the 82Q900. The rep in chat had great ratings and seemed really knowledgeable. He told me the Q900 would have an update to support eArc in 12-14 days. This was about a week ago. I decided to purchase the TV 5 days ago and waiting for the update. 

I wanted to confirm this info before my 14-day return policy ends.  I reached out again to Samsung. Chat keeps sending me to Tech Support (they tend to read a script) and I can't replicate talking to the same type of person (knowledgeable). The original person I talked to was more of your techy sales guy.

My question is was he pulling my chain to get me to buy the TV? He gave me additional info to think not. He told me the reason eArc wasn't available at launch was because of a year-long licensing approval. I also asked him about Dolby Vision, he stated this will likely never come to Samsung due to a licensing feud, this is why Samsung came out with HDR10+. Again this knowledge leads me to believe he wasn't just pulling my chain. According to him, I should see an update any day now. Any thoughts on this?