cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

q60ra Dimming

Hi Folks - I have a 75inch q60ra and it's a great TV - however when I watch some TV content it occasionally dims the whole screen momentarily and then brightens up again. It's quite annoying. 

ive turner off the Eco stuff and so on but it's still happening - can anyone advise as it's really starting to bother me.

thanks

mark

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: q60ra Dimming

Does this happen on all sources? Navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Picture Test, and then follow the on-screen directions. Does it appear during the test? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Did you ever solve this?  I have the same problem with my new q80 75 inch set.  Randomly dims during scenes.

I am also having this same issue when watching 4K HDR content through Amazon Prime Video. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Have you also tried the steps @SamsungBri provided?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Yes, and it only seems to affect 4k HDR content. Its incredibly annoying and doesn't appear to an issue with any of the ECO or Power Saving settings. The only solution that seems to be credible beyond the basics is outlined here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov9niiau5x4 but I dont want to delve into the service menu on a TV this new or expensive. I find it very very hard to believe that Samsung are not aware of this issue.

Highlighted
Constellation

@usercbosz2l7cu wrote:

I find it very very hard to believe that Samsung are not aware of this issue.

They ARE aware of it. It has to do with Local Dimming and the fact that Samsung won't allow you to turn the option OFF unless you know how to get into the TVs service menu. There's a massive thread filled with replies from people with the same problem. It plagues many of their TVs.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Well, they are doing bugger all about it, thats for certain.

Highlighted
Constellation

I bought an 82" Q60R a few weeks ago.  No matter what settings I used the screen dims on dark material.  This is particulary annoying when using subtitles as these dim as well.  Then I found a solution that seems odd.  If I turn on Intelligent Mode with Adaptive Brightness - No more dimming! One would think that if it was on the dimming would occur.  Also I am not seeing it respond to dark or bright room changes which is what I want.  Hope this helps others.  

Highlighted
Asteroid

The only fix I know of is to change the picture mode from Dynamic to either Movie (gives you the most accurate colors but the dimmest picture) or Standard (a compromise between brightness and color accuracy). If Standard isn't bright enough with the backlight maxed, set Contrast Enhancer to High.