cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

"This video is in a format that can't be streamed to this TV" error (Airplay/Screen Mirror)

I got a new Samsung TV with Airplay 2. I was so excited to be able to use Airplay/Screen Mirror but I'm running into a problem.

When I try to stream videos using the TV app on my iPad, I get the following error:

"This video is in a format that can't be streamed to this TV."

I've tried using the Screen Mirror option and got this message.

I also tried playing the video, then selecting the icon in the bottom, right corner (looks like a square with a triangle over it) and selecting my TV under "Speakers & TVs". A checkmark appears next to my TV in the list. Then on my TV itself, it says:

"Airplay, Wirelessly share content from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Choose this TV [name of my TV]. Make sure your Mac or iOS device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as this TV."

Nothing happens after that.

After I connect to my TV, it also lists "Airplay" underneath my TV name on my iPad. I try tapping on that, and again, nothing happens.

I've done some research and found this -

"Actually, it's officially stated that MP4 is supported by Samsung TV. However, the compressed way for MP4 video can be different and complicated. Samsung TV can only recognize MP4 file with H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec. If your MP4 file is not compressed in this way, it can't be opened or played smoothly with your Samsung TV."

I believe my codecs are correct (see screenshot below). Does this look right?

https://i.imgur.com/WFkJBru.png

I am super bummed that this isn't working, especially since I spent a lot of time prepping the videos to sync to my iPad.

I'll owe my life to anyone who can help me fix this.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: "This video is in a format that can't be streamed to this TV" error (Airplay/Screen Mirror)

May I have your full model code? Does this error occur on all apps or just certain apps? Is the software updated?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: "This video is in a format that can't be streamed to this TV" error (Airplay/Screen Mi

QN55Q6DRAFXZA

It only happens with the built in TV app on iOS.  When playing the same exact file using the VLC app, it streams just fine.  Other apps such as YouTube work fine as well.

The software is fully updated (version 1315)

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: "This video is in a format that can't be streamed to this TV" error (Airplay/Screen Mirror)

Just to verify you are doing these steps? On your iPad, open the Photos app. Select the photo or video you want to share, and then tap the Share icon at the bottom left. Tap AirPlay, and then tap the TV you want to stream to. The image or video will display on the TV. If this does not work I would recommend to uninstall the app and reinstall it. Is any other videos or pictures able to work with the airplay app? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: "This video is in a format that can't be streamed to this TV" error (Airplay/Screen Mi

No, these are not videos that I recorded using the device camera.  These are videos that I synced to my iPad using iTunes.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Do any of the videos work that you synced or is it all the videos?  

Highlighted
Constellation

All videos

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Do you experience the same symptoms with your phone? 

Highlighted
Constellation

Yes, same problem on iPhone.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Have you verified all of the steps provided by Apple, here? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204291