cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

vertical green line

hello

I have aQ900  8k qled 82" a thin vertical green line going the entire length of the screen from top to bottom.  I bought open box from Best Buy. I've had it less than 2 months. Anything I can do?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Nebula

Re: vertical green line

it's usually a problem with the Power Supply Unit and/or the connection it runs into. the PSU is your power cord running to the tv. I'd try buying a new one first. it's relatively cheap and most times resolves the problem. The 2nd is a bit more work but is also easy after you get the hang if it. Where the power cord plugs into there is a control unit which sends out power to various parts of the tv i.e. speakers ,screen, fan, etc. You will need to take off the back of the tv and when you see where the power cord plugs into you will see that there are little metal tabs there. clean them with isoprpyl alchohol and a q tip. Most of the time dust and debris have built up and are disrupting the connection to the digitizer which runs data to the screen. (trying to keep it plain Jane in the instructions as much as possible for ya) the whole process of taking apart and cleaning the first time will probably take around 45 minutes but after you do it you'll be like "Oh that was easy lol and should only take around 15 . be sure and plug back in BEFORE remounting the back to test and make sure the green lines are gone. Also, there are Step by Step instructions on YouTube if you search for it. So that Helps also. just be sure not to go fooling about with anything else. Also Lowes sells a very nice inexpensive Electronics kit by KOBALT for less than 30 that is very well worth the money if you pick one up. usually located around the paint department or near the lighting area. Your Problem is very common and even more so with a "Store off shelf" TV as it runs alot more and is cleaned alot less than you might if it was at your home. Hope this helps. Trust Me when I say "YOU CAN DO THIS" it's less complicated than changing out an electrical outlet in your house . probably a 3 but just feels like a 7 because you are worried about ruining something. Watch the videos online, find one that is comfy for you, and watch as many times as possible and even pause throughout so you can go step by step. doesnt matter which tv they are showing the tutorial for when it comes to this section consider it like a vacuum and you are replacing/cleaning the cord. They're all the same
Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks for the detailed response!  This tv has the One Connect Box. Does your answer still apply?

Would I be looking cleaning where the power plugs into the box? 

Highlighted
Nebula

is the green line persistent on every screen?? anywhere two power supply units meet would be good to clean like your hdmi cables if used s video etc. if you're using the One connect box it could definitely be the culprit . clean all the pins with the alchohol tip wipe dry any residue with dry q tip. It's definitely a place to start