Bixby defaults to phone mic when Bluetooth headset is connected (Note 8+)

Asteroid

Bixby defaults to phone mic when Bluetooth headset is connected (Note 8+)

Hi,

For some reason Bixby uses the phone mic when bluetooth headset or car is connected, but it plays the responses back in the headset/car. How do I have it use the headset mic and not the phone mic (like Ok Google) when I press the headset action button?

Please let me know if this is a known limitation or problem.

Thanks, Digby

14 REPLIES
Supernova

Re: Bixby defaults to phone mic when Bluetooth headset is connected (Note 8+)

Hey, @DigbyAU, this is a pretty easy fix.

You can change this behavior by going to Settings > Apps > Google > Set as Default > Clear Defaults.

Next time you request the voice assistant, you will be prompted by a list of options on which assistant you'd like to use.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

Hi,

The issue is not which assistant (ie Google v Bixby), but why doesn't Bixby use the bluetooth headset mic, rather it only uses the phone mic?

Bixby is my default assistant (not Google). OK Google does use the Bluetooth headset when I change OK Google to my default assistant.

Digby

Supernova

I do apologize for my confusion on my part about this, @DigbyAU.

There is not currently any way to pick which device you use as your Bixby mic. Do you have your Bluetooth device set up for use with call audio and media audio?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Supernova

Hey, I hope you are doing well. I just wanted to drop by and see if you were able to verify that your Bluetooth's connection is set to use call audio and media audio.

If you need help with anything else, please let us know and our community will be happy to help!

Asteroid

Hi,

Yes, bluetooth works through the 2 different headsets, headphones and the car ok when playing back media etc. But Bixby does not use the mic in those devices.

For example...

• I can press the action button on my headset with the phone locked in the car and me on the outside, I can hear Bixby awake in the headset but it can't hear me through the headset...
  • it can only hear me through the phone when I'm in the car or within proximity or when the car is off and the phone not connected.

Does that make sense?

D

Asteroid

BTW... It is the same with a Galaxy 8 and a Note 8 +, I've tried both.

Asteroid

Here is a testing question, does Bixby work with Bluetooth in your vehicle? Whilst driving, can you say "Hi Bixby, SMS Joe that I'm running an hour late"?

Or press a button to activate Bixby and say "

SMS Joe that I'm running an hour late"?

Constellation

Hi all, 

I'm tuning in on this as well.  Same goes with most BT devices from Jabra Classic to Plantronics 5200.  The Bixby app will open and listen, but no communication is being picked up by the phone via headset.  I called Samsung support today on what devices work with Bixby and currently, there are none until there is a software release which is TBD.  Terrible for Samsung.  It'll probably result in "hands-free" lawsuits on their behalf.

So, I'm stuck with the S9+ until there is a Bixby software fix.

Long time Samsung customer

Constellation

Hi,

Yes, this is definitely a problem and I'm facing it with the S8. One of the things I like about Bixby as compared to Google Assistant is that I can keep a voice password to unlock the phone. 

However, if I can't do it unless I'm holding the phone near me, it's of not much use. Its almost hilarious, I'm shouting "Hi Bixby" at the top of my voice into the car mic, nothing happens, I get flustered and I'm sure that's gonna be a risk while driving.

Please fix this guys.

Thanks